Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 2.2 (device pack 3) with wrong 2960X device type

Hey, we bought some 2960X-24PS-L (running 15.0(2)EX5) and added them to PI 2.2.

On the Prime device level support I can see that it is supported:

Cisco Catalyst 2960X-24PS-L SwitchOID:1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1697>=12.1IOS

But when I add it to Prime on "Inventory > Device Management > Network Devices" it appears "Cisco Catalyst 29xx Stack-able Ethernet Switch" on the device type field. Which is this one:

Cisco Catalyst 29xx Stack-able Ethernet SwitchOID:1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1208>=12.1IOS

Well, I did an SNMP query to the switch with the OID value 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2 (sysObjectID) and return the following line:

SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.1208

I don't understand much about SNMP but shouldn't the OID value on the switch be 1697 instead of 1208?

Thanks,

Sergio.

Edit:

The following link explains it.

https://tools.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCup82940

There is an unsolved bug on Prime but as I understand, the guys at Cisco aren't looking at the source of the problem. The OID value is "announced" by the switch, Prime just interprets the value that the switch gives.

3 Replies 3

Anyone? :-(

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had a similar issue with 3850 switches. When you stack them, they announce a different OID.

Everything Prime Infrastructure (and Prime LMS) does that's specific to a device is based on the OID it announces. Change the OID and the features and functions PI offers you for that device also changes.

I hate how they mark these bugs as fixed when the fix is in unreleased software (such as in this case  - I suspect PI 3.0 has the fix). In my opinion that is gaming the bug tracking system by making software quality look higher than it actually is. If there's not a true fix in released software then the bug status should be "unresolved" or "pending software release".

p.s. questions on Prime Infrastructure will be more quickly answered in the Network Management forum.

The following command corrects the OID value:

snmp_test(config)#no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid

Reloading the switch is required.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card