cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

printing to another network printer

hugh_vagn
Level 1
Level 1

I am a newbie in networking. I have two network and would like to allow 1 pc on another network to print to a printer on a another. Below is my description.

Network 1:

192.168.13.0/255.255.255.0

192.168.13.125 -> xp desktop

192.168.13.1 -> gateway

goal: to allow xp desktop to print to network 2 printer.

network 2:

192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0

192.168.3.11 -> hp printer (wired)

192.168.3.1 -> gateway

router:  cisco soho 901

I have added the following entry but the xp workstation cannot see or unable to add the printer by standard tcp.

access-list 110 permit ip 192.168.13.125 host 192.168.3.11

1) should i include for tcp too? Does ip includes all services for tcp?

Any advice is appreciated.

tia,

hugh

8 Replies 8

smitty6504
Level 1
Level 1

Does ip includes all services for tcp?

Yes, IP includes TCP and UDP. Please post your config/network diagram.

attached is my config....

Does the router connect to a switch? What type of switch if it does. You have setup mulitiple ip addresses under a single interface, that will not work. You will need to create subinterfaces under E0 which is called " a router on a stick", other wise you will need to have a layer 3 switch and create the vlans in the switch.

Yes I have an HP 8 ports switch connected to this router. The switch then downlinks to 3 of the network switches and computers.

Can that HP switch do trunking? If it can then you would need to do the following to achieve what you are requesting:

1. You would need to create two or three vlans.( i see three ip addresses assigned to E0)

2. Trunk the connection between each switch

3. Configure the workstaions in the correct vlans on each switch

4. Trunk the interface from the router to the switch, then subinterface the router to get the two neworks to communicate.

Else you would need to get a different router or additional network interfaces on the router you have.

Can you ping the Printer from your workstation?

Try removing the acl on E1.

i have another network that has a similar setup but i'm able to print to it. however, i forgot to mention that this workstation is on a wireless network.

Ping was not successful. I will look look at the suggestion and see if i can try. thanks

thanks

hugh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card