cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem negotiating lower power level between 3650 and 702W access point on newer code

Good morning,

I am having some difficulty with a few 3650 stacks if I upgrade to a code line beyond 16.3. This is for a college dormitory and I have a large amount of Cisco 702W access points on these switches. The 702W can operate in either normal POE or POE+ (in the lower POE mode the built in POE port gets disabled but the wifi and wired LAN ports will operate.) Due to the number of devices I have on these switches I have to run them at the lower power level to avoid running out of power (if I let them all go I don't have enough power to run them all and I actually don't even want the POE port in this deployment.) WIth the 13.6 (and previous codes) I set power inline auto max 15400 on all the ports and it denies the higher power level to the APs and negotiates down to the lower power level just fine and I have no problem. But for all the newer code lines than 13.6 I am getting "power-deny" on these ports if I have the limit on and the APs are not negotiating the lower power level. Has anyone seen this behavior before or have any recommendations?

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you could use

debug ilpower { cdp | controller | event | ha | ipc | police | port | powerman | registries | scp | sense }

or debug platform poe [ error | info ] [ switch switch-number ]

to collect more information about poe negotiation.

There are some PoE bugs that may apply 

Denali 16.3.2 not providing PoE after bouncing the port. (fixed after 16.3(4.27))

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco