cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with catalyst 2960

cjewell77
Level 1
Level 1

Ok heres the deal. I am currently in school. I found a new catalyst 2960 never opened. We have a classroom that needs connections. I have 1 working rj45 cable in this room. I went into the router and set

the IP and subnet mask

the default gateway

I went into the dhcp server and set a reservation for this ip on both dhcp servers. On the dhcp server it says the lease is inactive im sure because i cant ping out or connect.

and I am unsure why i it will not connect to the network. I can not ping the gateway but i have verified that this is a good connection and I am on the right subnet of 11. I verified the default gateway as well.

I am using a straight through cable to the rj45 jack in the wall. I assume i do not need a cross over cable? Should it not be able to tell that on its own? I dont have a cross over cable to test with.

Any help is appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You shouldnt need a crossover as the switch ports are mdix they can tell so you should be ble to use straight through

did you trace the cabling sounds like somethings off on layer 1 or use a cable tester to see do you have a full path at layer 1 , even if the config was wrong you should get a link light on switch end once layer 1 path is good

There is an amber link light. Can’t ping out. 

Hello

Have you tried the same settings on a laptop and tested the network connection to make sure you have network connectivity from the wall jack?

How have configured the switch - can you post the config

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes the wall jack works fine with another computer
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card