Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with VSS in the cisco 6500

Hi,

I have a problem with the vss in the cisco 6500, the problem was that the one of the two 6500 stayed in mode recovery and we reboot the switch, but still the same. So how can I fix the problem?

the configuration of the vss is the following:

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/5/4
no switchport
no ip address
mls qos trust cos
channel-group 20 mode on
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet2/5/5
no switchport
no ip address
mls qos trust cos
channel-group 20 mode on

interface Port-channel20
no switchport
no ip address
switch virtual link 2
mls qos trust cos
no mls qos channel-consistency

interface GigabitEthernet2/3/44
description FastHello-Link1SW2
no switchport
no ip address
dual-active fast-hello
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/3/45
description FastHello-Link2SW2
no switchport
no ip address
dual-active fast-hello
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/3/46
description IP-BFD-LinkSW2
no switchport
ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0
bfd interval 100 min_rx 100 multiplier 50

the other switch show me the follow error:

Feb 20 22:23:29: %VSLP-SW2_SPSTBY-3-VSLP_LMP_FAIL_REASON: Te2/5/4: Link down
Feb 20 22:23:29: %VSL-SW2_SPSTBY-5-VSL_CNTRL_LINK:  New VSL Control Link Te2/5/5
Feb 20 22:23:29: %VSLP-SW2_SPSTBY-3-VSLP_LMP_FAIL_REASON: Te2/5/5: Link down
Feb 20 22:23:29: %VSLP-SW2_SPSTBY-2-VSL_DOWN:   Last VSL interface Te2/5/5 went down
Feb 20 22:23:29: %SATVS_IBC-SW2_SPSTBY-5-VSL_DOWN_SCP_DROP: VSL inactive - dropping cached SCP packet: (SA/DA:0x4/0x4, SSAP/DSAP:0x2/0x1, OP/SEQ:0x1E/0x29, SIG/INFO:0x1/0x502, eSA:0000.0500.0000)
--More--                           Feb 20 22:23:29: %VSLP-SW2_SPSTBY-2-VSL_DOWN:   All VSL links went down while switch is in Standby role

Feb 20 22:23:36: %PM-SW2_SP-4-PORT_BOUNCED: Port Gi2/3/44 was bounced by Consistency Check IDBS Up.
Feb 20 22:23:36: %PM-SW2_SP-4-PORT_BOUNCED: Port Gi2/3/45 was bounced by Consistency Check IDBS Up.
Feb 20 22:23:36: %PM-SW2_SP-4-PORT_BOUNCED: Port Gi2/3/46 was bounced by Consistency Check IDBS Up

Best Regard

Paolo Kobashikawa

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Log into the switch (you may use console access) do "wr mem" and reload. Please let us know if it resolves the issue.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paolo,

What is the output of "sh sw vir ro"?

Recovery usually means the the primary switch has failed and it is in recovery mode until it is rebooted. When this happens the backup switch should be primary now.

HTH

Reza

we had a problem because the primary switch switchover to the recovery mode, so  I want to know how to fix the problem, in the log, you can see that the vsl fail down, sometime is for the cable but how can I check the primary switch , because right now is in recovery mode, so I can not enter to the device.

And also how can I check it, if the problem is the hardware of the cisco 6500?

Log into the switch (you may use console access) do "wr mem" and reload. Please let us know if it resolves the issue.

Dear Sajid, Today I will apply the command "wr mem" and reload, but with that command what will supposed to happend?  will the 6500 turn to normal mode? I have another quiestion, right now the the 6500 device is turn off, so just one 6500 is on, if I turn on the " failed device" what would happend with the another device, I mean, could the operating device get down?

You will do it on the switch in recovery mode. So, you need to bring it up anyway and then reload. I think, you can use "redundancy reload shelf #" cmd. Recovery mode chassis should not cause any affect to current active one. Current active is affected if VSL link is broken due to any reason.

Login to the recovery mode switch, do enable, provide password and then wr mem and then use reload shelf cmd.

Dear Said, a question, if I enter by console to the recovery switch, I will enter to that switch or to the active switch?  because in another device for example the 3750, When you enter to the device, always is the active switch.

You will enter into recovery switch, use console connection

how can I write the command "wr mem" and then reload if the recovery device is en rommon?

Please recover your switch from rommon condition first. Cisco's website has procedure to recover.

Make sure it has same ios as other switch if your ios is corrupted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card