Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with WAP561-A-K9

I purchased WAP561-A-K9 and it doesn't even seem to work. After talking to "tech support" on chat for over  hour he couldn't provide any solution and simply said he will talk to his "lead" and respond by email. I am so far very unhappy with both the product and support or customer service, although it seems like a solid product and I seen it has mostly good reviews, so maybe just one faulty and needs to be fixed or replaced.

At first the problem was that after I run the wizard and put it in DHCP mode it would not get an IP and would not be accessible unless I plug it in directly to a laptop and hard code the subnet and access it by default IP. Putting in a static IP for the WAP wold not make it work either.

The "tech support" guy on chat recommended upgrading the firmware. I "located" the firmware through FindIT tool and downloaded (WAP5xx_1.2.1.3.tar) and copied to the laptop and loaded from web interface. After that the WAP device rebooted, and I could not log back in, not from the password I've chosen and not form the default one.

I tried to reset the device couple times but that didn't change anything. Basically when i access the logon screen and input username and password, there is no error and it simply refreshes the page and goes back to the logon screen. 

I need to get a fix ASAP or return the product and go with another model or even brand. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

This might seem obvious but have you followed the Quick Start and Admin guides for this AP?

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap5x1/quick_start/guide/WAP_551_561_QSG.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap5x1/administration/guide/WAP551_561_admin_guide.pdf

The guide suggests the AP is configured to obtain a DHCP address out of the box so after a full factory reset, it should get an IP.

Have you checked your DHCP server device to see if it does pickup an IP address?

Look at the MAC address on the switchport for the AP and see if you see a DHCP binding for it.

Step 2 of the quick start guide suggests you can use the FindIt software to locate the AP.

If you are following the guides and it simply not picking up a DHCP address and setting a static does not work, it suggests there is a problem and it would be worth RMA ing the device for a new one. 

Yes I seen the quickstart booklet. The setup seems very straight forward. And I was doing the single setup and not cluster at this location. 

I haven't checked the connected devices on the router if that is what you meant, but it obviously is not getting an IP. Although DHCP is running fine, there are many computers connected and devices, and I tried to connect with my phone too (there is another wireless router in place).

If I use FindIT, it showed the device is visible but shows error that it is in wrong subnet, but if I connect directly to static laptop then I can browse to the web interface. Well again not can but could, after firmware was upgraded I cannot even login even though login screen comes up. Do I need to replace it? How do I get it replaced through Cisco? Want to make sure I get a good one.

The "tech" I spoke with promised to email soon but never did. Kind of disappointed with the service.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to turn it on again and was able to login. Wen't through the setup, setup DHCP, restarted and connected to switch, it still does not get the correct IP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card