omar alza
Level 1
Level 1

you can check my lab in the attachment.

unable to ping from pc0 to pc2.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Omar,

Attached you will find the fixed configuration, the topology is using subnetted network, RIP ver 1 does not support classless, so you need to configure

version 2 
and
no auto-summary 

Under the RIP process.

This link could be useful: https://www.ciscoforall.com/what-is-difference-between-ripv1-and-ripv2/

If you want to see the version running on the router you can use the command: show ip protocol

Hope it is useful.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

azibnaseem
Level 1
Level 1

Both routers (Router0 & Router2) didn't know the how to reach each others as both routers didn't have respective network entries into their Routing tables. In order to ping you should full convergence between both routers.

Regards'

If i added the directly connected routes it works, but  we also studied that if you add the original network (/16  here) it will also work.

You mean to say that if you are performing static routing then it will work. Rip only support calssful routing, as I mentioned earlier VLSM is not supported in rip. You should have to use separate calssful networks in order to perform routing using rip.

Regards'

I created this lab to explain what i was trying to do in the first lab.

I just added the network 129.168.0.0 to protocol rip in each router and it functions correctly.

but it does not work in first lab.

I haven't looked at the topology but just wanted to add that RIP v2 supports classless networks.

azibnaseem
Level 1
Level 1

One thing more, it is seen from topology you are using VLSM & rip didn't support VLSM. Please use another routing protocol like (OSPF & EIGRP) in order to use VLSM.

Regards'

Thank you sir,i understand now the problem .

Actually, I have applied rip version 2 setting on just 1 router & didn't configured rip v2 on second router. Actually, at that time I was short of time. Julio said right & rip v2 supported VLSM. It was my mistake.

Apologies,

Regards'

Hi Omar,

Attached you will find the fixed configuration, the topology is using subnetted network, RIP ver 1 does not support classless, so you need to configure

version 2 
and
no auto-summary 

Under the RIP process.

This link could be useful: https://www.ciscoforall.com/what-is-difference-between-ripv1-and-ripv2/

If you want to see the version running on the router you can use the command: show ip protocol

Hope it is useful.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks Julio,Can you provide me with your packet tracer version name?

The attached file does not work on packet tracer 5.0.

Hi Omar,

Version 7.0.0.0306. 

Basically you need to configure the following on the 3 routers:

conf t
router rip
ver 2
no auto-summary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card