Views
Helpful
Replies

PRP Trunks

saminda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please refer the attached diagram. I have implemented PRP on an IE-5000 switch as shown in the figure. IE-5000 to SW A and SW B are TRUNK ports. So PRP channel is a trunk channel.

When I give a ping to DAN 1 I can confirm PRP is working fine as when I disconnect from port 1 of SW A or port 1 of SW B I do not see any packet losses. However when I remove the connection from Port 17 or Port 18 of the IE-5000 it takes about 25 sec to start successful pings.

I would appreciate if you could advise me what could be the reason for ping failures when disconnect from Port 17 and Port 18.

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Samida,

Thanks for the update. You are correct. Depending on your exact setup/config. I would expect that there might be some reconvergence time required before it is ready to failover again.

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Can you share your configuration? Do you see any logs for the 20-30 seconds that the traffic is lost? Can you get the following three outputs during the time it is down?

show prp statistics

show prp control

show prp channel

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

Hi Bradley,

I realized the issue happens exactly due to below;

Once we unplugged one port of the PRP channel and plugged it back, we have unplugged the other port immediately. During this we see there were packet losses. However alternatively if we unplug one port and after plug it in wait for 30 seconds before we unplug the other port then this issue did not happen.

In conclusion I understood it as we need to allow approximately 30 seconds for the PRP channel to stabilize after plug in one out of the two connections. Please let me know whether my understanding is correct.

unfortunately can't provide the statistics as the equipment are now in site.

Any advices would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Saminda

Hello Samida,

Thanks for the update. You are correct. Depending on your exact setup/config. I would expect that there might be some reconvergence time required before it is ready to failover again.

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card