Views
Helpful
Replies

PVLAN and Trunk on SG300

mfuerni
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I use three SG300 switches to run my network. One is connected to a (free) ESX server running an OPNsense VM that acts as router. I have several VLANs that are connected using trunks between the switches and ESX. The OPNsense VM is configured to use tagged frames, and I configured multiple VLAN interfaces in OPNsense directly. So there is one vNIC using tagged frames attached to the virtual machine.

I have a separate VLAN for (IoT) devices. I want to stop communication between those devices. But they are connected to different switches, so "protected-port" setting is not enough.

I tried to setup a Private VLAN (one primary, one isolated secondary) and configured a switchport to use the isolated VLAN using the following command:

switchport private-vlan host-association [primary-id] [isolated-id]

But I don't know how to tell the switch, ESX or the VM that it is the promiscuous port. Is this possible on SG 300 series? In my current configuration, the port is not able to access the router.

Here you can see a rough sketch of my network:

NW(1).png

I hope someone can help me to find a solution.

Kind regards,
mfuerni

6 Replies 6

Hello

I have neve had any exposure to this make/model of switch however for PVLAN to work I would assume its the same for this switch as
it is for any other make/model that supports PVLAN.

First of all the switch require to be in vtp transparent mode for PVLAN and then you need to create the vlans and assign them to either to be community or isolated pvlan.

Lastly you need to assign the port to there related vlans and also specify a promiscuous port so all hosts can communicate to/through.

See attached example:

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

thank you for your response. I'm aware of basic PVLAN configuration. My problem is the promiscuous port which goes to the firewall: It is a trunk from one switch to the hypervisor and an additional trunk from the hypervisor to the OPNsense VM. Your configuration would need a physical port for each PVLAN.

Maybe a promiscuous trunk port would solve that problem, but on SG300 this option seems to be unavailable.

Kind regards,
mfuerni

Hello

@mfuerni wrote:

Maybe a promiscuous trunk port would solve that problem, but on SG300 this option seems to be unavailable.

FYI - Promiscuous trunk ports are applicable in PVLAN

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Unfortunately, on my SG300 only the following commands are available in interface configuration:

sw1(config-if)#switchport mode private-vlan ?
  promiscuous          private-vlan promiscuous port
  host                 private-vlan host port
sw1(config-if)#switchport private-vlan ?
  host-association     configure the membership of host port within the
                       associated primary-secondary VLANs
  mapping              configure the membership of promiscuous port within
                       the associated primary-secondary VLANs

So the command switchport mode private-vlan trunk promiscuous seems to be not available. Is there an alternative solution for my scenario?

Or do I have to either use a different VLAN on every switch or provide a physical promiscuous port for every VLAN?

Hello

@mfuerni wrote:

So the command switchport mode private-vlan trunk promiscuous seems to be not available. Is there an alternative solution for my scenario?

Or do I have to either use a different VLAN on every switch or provide a physical promiscuous port for every VLAN?

Okay if its possible you could use two ports, one for the promiscuous port (access-port) for the server and another port (trunk) for all other vlans?

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver wrote:

Okay if its possible you could use two ports, one for the promiscuous port (access-port) for the server and another port (trunk) for all other vlans?

Hello Paul,

I hoped there is another, more elegant solution without 'wasting' a dedicated port per VLAN.

But I'll use that approach, thank you!

If anyone has a better solution, I would be glad to see it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card