Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

PVLAN Guidance

Greetings forum. So I am working on a project that could potentially make use of PVLANs to isolate some hosting servers we are possibly going to bring online in the coming weeks. We currently have Catalyst 4507R switches as the core at our DC running IOS version 15.0(2)SG7. We are using SVIs for Inter-vlan routing on the 4507Rs. We are running VTP version 2 currently. I am trying to lock down some answers with regards to running PVLANs in my environment. Any help here is much appreciated.

I have read that to run PVLANs, you need to put your switches in transparent mode before enabling PVLANs. The thing I am not sure on is why. Do they say this because only VTP version 3 supports the synchronization of PVLANs in the VTP domain, and without version 3 your PVLANS will not be propagated, or is there an another reason to put your switches in transparent other than this. I understand that without v3 I would have to manually configure the PVLANS on my switches that would needs them. Just trying to understand if thats the reason they say to put VTP in transparent mode before implementing PVLANS or if there is something else to it I am missing. Can I run PVLANs using VTPv2 and manually configure the PVLANs on the switches that need them?

Secondly, in order to switch to using VTPv3 from VTPv2, are there any gotchas I need to be aware of. I have two VTP servers in my VTP domain. I understand VTPv3 works differently with regards to VTP updates. When I change to version 3, will the current VLAN Database be overwritten causing me to loose my current VLANs, or will the current VLANs stay as is while I go about switching all my switches to VTPv3. Would like to avoid wiping out my network if possible.

Third, I have a VMWare ESX setup. These new hosts will be VM servers. We do not have a license to support the Distributed VSwitch which allows PVLAN support for ESX VMs. These VMs are running on a Dell M1000e chassis with Cisco WS-CBS3130G-S switches in it. They have limited support for PVLANs. We have VLAN trunk uplinked to our core switches from these blade switches, and then trunk to the VMWare standard switch so we can control VLAN placement of the VLAN hosts. Looks like this:

4507R---------------->WS-CBS3130G-S----------->VMWareStandardSwitch--------->VMWare Guests

Trunk                                            Trunk                                                  Access                           

I believe there is some way to set up using PVLANs using a setup like this. I think using an isolated PVLAN trunk port. The Blade switch does not seem to support that feature (running 12.2(40)EX1). This is said to be the desired practice when you have upstream switches which do not support PVLANs. Since my VMWare switch does not support them, but the switch linking the core to the vswitch does somewhat I am trying to understand the issues that would be seen there.

Again lots if questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Everyone's tags (2)
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad