cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PVLAN not compatible with VTPv3 pruning ?

simon.myara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am currently testing VTP version 3, as we need to propagate Private VLAN information between switches.

However, it seems that VTP pruning is not compatible with Private VLANs :

- When I type "vtp pruning", I get the message "Private VLANs are configured, cannot enable VTP Pruning".

- When I create a Private VLAN once pruning is enabled, this VLAN gets pruned on the trunk even though is it being used on the facing Catalyst.

Is anyone of you aware of this situation, that I couldn't find documented? Are there any workaround?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Fabienne Stephanoff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Simon,

What platform are you seeing this message in so I can check for you?

Fabienne

LAN-Switching TAC

Hello Fabienne,

This message appears on a Catalyst 4900M running IOS version 12.2(54)SG1 IPBASE K9.

Kind regards,

Simon

Hello Simon,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/configuration/guide/pvlans.html

To configure a PVLAN correctly, enable VTP in transparent mode in VTP version 1 and

VTP version 2. (VTP version 3 enables you to create it in server mode). To configure a PVLAN correctly, enable VTP in transparent mode in VTP version 1 and
VTP version 2. (VTP version 3 enables you to create it in server mode).

Fabienne

TAC

Hello Fabienne,

Thanks for your reply. Our goal was to use PVLAN and VTP pruning together. However we discovered through TAC that this isn't possible. We agreed to change our design.

Kind regards,

Simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card