cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Bandwidth Policer on 6500 w/ Sup720

b.gamble
Level 1
Level 1

I've set up a policy-map that should restrict the download speed of our customers. Some customers are able to routinely exceed their allotted amount.

policy-map inbound_policer
  class customer_a_class
   police cir 100000000    conform-action transmit     exceed-action drop     violate-action drop
  class customer_b_class
   police cir 80000000 bc 2500000 be 2500000   conform-action transmit     exceed-action drop     violate-action drop
  class customer_c_class
   police cir 80000000 bc 2500000 conform-action transmit     exceed-action drop     violate-action drop

interface GigabitEthernet4/1
 description Uplink to Internet
 service-policy input inbound_policer

In the policy map above I've used three different ways to define the cap of 100Mb. One just specifies the CIR with no be or bc. The second specifies both be and bc and the third just bc. The exceed-action in all cases is "drop". So my thought it that all three methods would boil down to roughly the same speed. Am I incorrect in thinking that?

I'm getting reports that the only ones exceeding their bandwidth are the customers configured in the "customer_a_class" example with no be or bc defined.

Thanks,

Ben.

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you use policing on ingress?  I though it could only be used for egress.  I could be wrong.

If I am right you would need to apply it outbound on your upstream, and outbound on the interface facing towards the clients.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card