cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Configuration on a Catalyst 2901 Router for VoIP and Data

kbrown001
Level 1
Level 1

I have a T1 Point to Point connection between a remote facility and my main facility.  It is a plain 24 channel 1.544mbps T1.

I have 5 IP telephones at the remote facility that are manually configured and they point back to the main facility where the Phone system is.

I need to reserve 2/3 of the T1 bandwidth to always be dedicated to the VoIP traffic and the rest for the data traffic.

The data subnet here is 192.168.4.x.  The data subnet at the main facility is 192.168.1.x

The voip subnet here is 192.168.41.x The voip subnet at the main facility is 192.168.11.x

What would be the best way to accomplish this besides creating addition VLANs.  Both subnets are just on VLAN1 because there are not that many devices.

I am able to set things like the priority or dscp values on the phones manually, could the QOS be done that way, or perhaps by subnet?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your VoIP traffic has DSCP markings, you can use that.

Something like:

class-map match-any VoIP

match dscp EF

policy-map Sample

class VoIP

priority percent 67

class class-default

bandwidth remaining 100

fair-queue

interface serial1

service-policy output Sample

Can this be done by subnet?

Like according to the source subnet of the voip traffic at the remote site?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes it could.  I would say, using QoS tags, would be the preferred solution.

However, all you need to do is change my prior example so that the class-map matches using an ACL, and have the ACL match against the network prefix.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: