Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS in relation to high bandwidth utilization

Dustin Burke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I just need to confirm if a router/switch does NOT have high utilization, does QOS still kick in? I have a strange situation with one of my devices showing drops, but the bandwidth is no where near saturation. However I do see drops for one of the the queue for QOS.

Anyone have any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

QOS will kick in only when there is congestion on the physical interface.

Do you see the drops all the time for the queue or it was just one time?  If it was one time than maybe you have had congestion at some point.  Clear the counter and watch the interface for a period of time.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

QOS will kick in only when there is congestion on the physical interface.

Do you see the drops all the time for the queue or it was just one time?  If it was one time than maybe you have had congestion at some point.  Clear the counter and watch the interface for a period of time.

HTH

Hi Reza,

There are 3 subinterfaces for my WAN and ive noticed 2 of the 3 take some drops. However its taking drops in a higher queue while the default class do not have any drops. I did see on NBAR some high amount of bits used within 30 seconds. Its a constant increase in drops. I just thought since it was a high AF value it would drop the lower (class default) rather than the more critical data. NBAR is activated so I can see the high traffic usage for the protocols, but maybe I should review the policy again.

I guess my question was have you ever seen QOS kick in on an interface that doesnt have high utilization.

Thank you for your help!

Normally I am pretty good with QOS but I just thought this was strange.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Reza correctly noted, normally QoS only engages when an interface becomes congested, i.e. packets are queued.

Utilization is measured over time, and it's often possible a very short duration burst can overflow a queue (causing drops) yet the utilization is "low".  (Conversely high utilization doesn't always lead to drops.)

Often in cases like yours, low utilization that show drops, drops can often be mitigated by increasing queuing resources (to better handle a short term burst).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card