cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Policy not activating

Brian Green
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem getting a QoS policy to activate.

I have a 2921 ISR router with several VRFs defined on it, and several DMVPNs.  What I'm trying to do is enact QoS using a simple policy - I would think the place to apply it would be the router egress interface since that interface doesn't use VRFs or DMVPNs.  When I view the policy using "show policy-map interface" the number of packets in the class stay at 0.

I have an Extended Access List:

ip access-list extended name Test1_acl

permit ip X.X.0.0 0.0.255.255 X.X.0.0 0.0.255.255

where X.X.0.0 is the subnet of nodes within one of the VRFs going to a destination over a DMVPN Tunnel.

And that connects to a Class Map:

class-map Test1_cm

match access-group Test1_acl

which connects to a Policy Map:

policy-map Test1_pm

class Test1_cm

bandwidth percent 25

set dscp af31

I've applied this to an interface:

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

ip address Y.Y.224.1 255.255.255.0

service-policy output Test1_pm

When I issue a ping from a workstation on the X.X.0.0 subnet, the packet (as I underdstand it) goes to the 2921 router, enters the DMVPN, then gets sent out on g0/2 - but the Source and Destination IPs are left unchanged.

What I am seeing when running an infinite png is all the packets go into the default class and none into Test1_cm.

Any ideas how I can make this work?

Thanks,

Brian

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You policy is on the physical egress interface?  If so, what IPs are you matching against, tunnel end-points, or pre-DMVPN source/destination IPs?

I managed to find a working solution - I created a simple policy map to apply the DSCP markings to the packet on its way IN to the router - so the QoS policy on the output interface can use that as the differentiator.  Not elegant, but (I think) it works.

Thanks!

Brian

Yes, that could be a solution because generally original packet's ToS byte is copied to the encapsulated header's ToS byte.

Otherwise, without using qos pre-classify (don't recall whether it works with DMVPN), egress interface QoS policies "see" the encapsulated header.

I was looking at some captured packets - the IPv4 Header had the DSCP field set properly once I changed it on the ingress interface.  So it does propogate it through.  I do have the "qos pre-classify" command set on all my VPN tunnels.

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: