cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS question on N9K-X97160YC-EX NXOS v9.3.2

brian.holmes
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 100Mbps WAN circuit connected to e1/1.   We would like the queuing on this interface to follow the 4 queue model percentages we have setup on the chassis.

From my days working on 7K's we could simply set the bandwidth on e1/1 to 100Mbps and it would queue it correctly using that BW statement.  ( i.e. when it approached 100Mbps it would start queuing to the percentages we had setup).   Simple and straight forward.   Does the 9K behave the same way?  Or will we need to jump through different hoops?

We looked at traffic shaping but the min we can set for NXOS is 100Mbps on the shaping, so we cannot traffic shape each queue based on our needs.

Would setting the interface BW statement help at all here?  Does the 9K queuing even pay attention to it?  Basically we need our critical traffic to be guaranteed the percentages in the queuing model.

Brian Holmes
Verizon
4 Replies 4

brian.holmes
Level 1
Level 1

I can see WRED could be enabled on each queue.  That looks like one option.  But does the interface bandwidth statement  also come into play with how the 9K handles the queuing?

Brian Holmes
Verizon

brian.holmes
Level 1
Level 1

From the Cisco 9K QoS documentation I see this statement:

"You can configure the bandwidth and bandwidth remaining on the egress queue to allocate a minimum
percentage of the interface bandwidth to a queue."

Can I infer the configured bandwidth statement on the physical interface would be used?  and not the real line speed? 

Brian Holmes
Verizon

Can I infer the configured bandwidth statement on the physical interface would be used?  and not the real line speed? 

Not 100% sure, but I would hope that the speed interface configuration comes into play, if not all the calculations for the QOS will be wrong unless QOS is only used with line speed. BTW, is this a module or a 9300 switch ( N9K-X97160YC-EX)?

If it is a module, it doesn't appear to support 100Mb

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npid=39

HTH

brian.holmes
Level 1
Level 1

1000base-LH transceiver is installed in E1/1 of this line card.  Yes modular chassis.  Thanks for much the feedback.

Brian Holmes
Verizon
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card