Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QSFP-40G-SR-BD SPFs are not getting detected on N9K-C93180YC-FX

Hi,

We are facing a weird problem with N9K-C93180YC-FX switch.
We tried to install/plug QSFP-40G-SR-BD QSPF and it is not getting detected, While we am trying QSFP-40GE-L it is working on same ports.
We tried multiple QSFP-40G-SR-BD, Even we buy the new one to test. But all in vain.

As per Cisco Compatibility Matrix QSFP-40G-SR-BD is supported with this hardware with minimum IOS level NX-OS 703I7.1.
We have tried NX-OS 703I7.1 and NX-OS 703I7.3
But QSPF is not getting detected.

Can someone please help me to find out the issues?

Spooster IT Services Team
7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the Logs show when you insert the module ? what interface you inserting this, can you post show information of the port ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is the full part number for the working optic, this is LR which means your fiber is single-mode. QSFP-40G-SR-BD should be used with Multimode (OM3 or later).

QSFP-40G-LR4

Can you clarify?

HTH

QSFP-40GE-LR4 is the full Part Number.

Hi

Nothing in the logs in case of QSFP-40G-SR-BD nor showing in " show interface transceiver"

In Case of QSFP-40GE-L, we are seeing logs as well as in " show interface transceiver".

I am attaching the outputs for your reference.

Hello!

I would recommend three steps to continue troubleshooting this issue:

1. Validate that you are testing with a Cisco-branded QSFP-40G-SR-BD transceiver to rule out any compatibility issues with a third-party QSFP-40G-SR-BD transceiver. Per the Cisco Optics-to-Device Compatibility Matrix, Cisco does not support third-party optics, transceivers, or cables. This means that Cisco does not test their network devices with any third-party optics, transceivers, or cables, and thus Cisco cannot qualify or guarantee the behavior of a network device when using a third-party optic, transceiver, or cable. This doesn't necessarily mean that third-party optics, transceivers, or cables won't work in Cisco network devices; it just means that when you face issues similar to this that involve a third-party hardware component, eliminating that third-party hardware component as a potential factor is the first step of troubleshooting.
  2. If possible, upgrade the NX-OS software of the switch to the current recommended NX-OS software release, which is 9.3(7) or 9.3(7a) at the time of this writing.
  3. If possible, upgrade the EPLD/FPGA software of the switch to match the upgraded NX-OS software of 9.3(7). You can find more information about the process for this in the Cisco Nexus 9000 Series FPGA/EPLD Upgrade Release Notes, Release 9.3(7) document. The MI FPGA in Nexus 9000 series switches interacts with transceivers over I2C buses (among other things) and can contribute to issues like this, where detecting an inserted transceiver or reading the SPROM of a transceiver returns unexpected results. For this reason, upgrading the EPLD/FPGA software of the switch is a good step to take when troubleshooting odd optic/transceiver issues like this.

I hope this helps - thank you!

apogeenet
Level 1
Level 1

If detected, but not getting a link, try to manually set speed and disable negotiation.  If not detected, I am assuming it is third party.  If the manufacture/brand starts with F and ends with ....ore, I've have a run of 40G SFP and DAC issues with them as well.  

We did an upgrade of our ACI environment and it tanked a bunch of our brand new third party optics on this exact model and we had to change them out to Cisco ones. 

I also echo the recommendation above for upgrading to the approved 9.x.x code as this is the new long term release code. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card