Views
Helpful
Replies

Quad Sup VSS - Supervisor Replacement

dm2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All

I have a failed sup2t (VS-SUP2T-10G) in a quad supervisor deployment. The new sup2t has been shipped to site, however, the failed sup has already been removed and sent back to Cisco so I dont have the old compact flash card, nor do I have a space chassis to pre-stage the replacement sup.

What is the procedure to install the replacement supervisor without impacting service? If the new sup has a different IOS image to that of the other in the chassis, will it fail to boot and fall into Rommon? From here, can I boot the correct software from a USB flashdrive or even download the software using tftfp?

Once booted, with the replacement supervisor simply sync its config and bootvar from the active supervisor?

I'm not famililar with the process so any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am not sure that the Sup2T supports USB boot, HOWEVER, since the 6840 can support USB boot I suspect Sup2T can too.
Give USB boot a try.

Hey Leo,

Appreciate the reply

So just to confirm, if the replacement supervisor is loaded with software that doesnt match the active sup, it will boot into Rommon? If so, I'm assuming it will do this as the bootvar programmed on the active supervisor cant find the image in flash?

thanks, I will try the USB boot

Once booted, I take it I then copy the required image to slavebootflash and copy run start to sync the configs included the bootvar? Is that all I need to do?

Really appreciate your help

@dm2020 wrote:

So just to confirm, if the replacement supervisor is loaded with software that doesnt match the active sup, it will boot into Rommon? If so, I'm assuming it will do this as the bootvar programmed on the active supervisor cant find the image in flash?

The replacement sup will, guaranteed, boot into ROMmon because the firmwares don't match.  

Copy the correct IOS into a USB thumb drive (and pray it'll get supported/detected by the replacement unit) and then issue the command "boot usb0:filename.bin".  

And then once the supervisor card boots up with the correct IOS and joins the "club", copy the IOS to the bootflash and then save the config.  

Check and make sure the Active sup has the correct config-registry set to 0x2102.

Please let us know how you go so others (in the same boat) will know how to get this to work.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card