hello

I am using a quality of service policy outbound on a symmetrical 4Mbs interface

the link shows rx  utilisation  average  144/255 with low  tx average  24/255

my policy map sets a bandwidth figure of 800 for my default class

policy-map test

class class-default

bandwidth 800

random-detect

I understand that the bandwidth figure sets a minimum bandwidth in the event of congestion

Because I have set the service policy outbound

Q will my bandwidth configuration monitor congestion on the tx load  only ?

I am using the show policy-map int x to monitor statistics : drops etc do not seem to match my tx/rx load trends

there is a small amount of drops relative to the load on the line

5 Replies 5

Wantser1981_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you have applied the service policy in an outbound direction, only outbound traffic is subject to the terms of your policy.

The fact is that you cannot really do much to control the rx on the recieving router as the traffic is already consuming the bandwidth by the time you hit the RX queue. You would need to restrict the flows on the up-stream router outbound (if uder your control)

The other thing to note is your policy doesn't really achieve anything, which is why you might be seeing odd results.

Effectively you are adding a bandwidth guarantee to the same traffic that can congest the interface. IE, you are adding a reservation for default traffic, when default traffic is all that is going to be coming through the interface because you are not classifying anything else.

HTH

Wantser

hello

sorry I should have explained there are other classes

class AF2

mat access-group AF2

police 1500  set exceed action AF22

class Af4

match access-group AF4

police 1000 set exceed action AF42

I will send on the full configuration

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I understand that the bandwidth figure sets a minimum bandwidth in the event of congestion

For CBWFQ, yes and no.  It really controls (de)scheduler priorities, but when configured with an absolute number, it should guaranteed at least that much bandwidth, on average.

Because I have set the service policy outbound

Q will my bandwidth configuration monitor congestion on the tx load  only ?

Not 100% sure what you believe "monitor congestion" means especially with "only", but an outbound policy does work with tx.

I am using the show policy-map int x to monitor statistics : drops etc do not seem to match my tx/rx load trends 

there is a small amount of drops relative to the load on the line

Well you can have zero drops at 100% loading and high drops with 1% load; with what you've posted, there's insufficient information to comment further.

please see output from show poicy-map interface above

please see part of the QoS  configuration applied below..

poicy applied outbound

note layer 3 configuration is on the WAN sub-interface f0/0.99

service policy is applied to the physical interface f0/0

therefore as I understand it  the QoS configuration will have no impact on RX load

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

poicy applied outbound 

note layer 3 configuration is on the WAN sub-interface f0/0.99

service policy is applied to the physical interface f0/0

therefore as I understand it  the QoS configuration will have no impact on RX load

Yes, correct, as already noted in my prior post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card