cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Query on active ports availble in Supervisor WS-X45-SUP8-E

ASA
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we are using cisco WS-C4510R+E switch and two WS-X45-SUP8-E  supervisor engine running in redundancy mode. There are no 10G SFP+ modules installed in switch.  

How many 10G SFP+ ports can be used in WS-X45-SUP8-E supervisor engine. And also need to know whether standby supervisor engine uplink 10G SFP+ ports will be active.

Kindly let me know. Thanks in advance..

4 Replies 4

Patrick Callum
Level 1
Level 1

I hope I am understanding your question, module 5 and 6 should be your supervisors. all the Te ports can be used to my knowledge. Typically the standby will be in a redundancy role of standby supervisor, SSO mode and status standby hot.

Since the idea is for redundancy what I usually do is create a port channel with interfaces from either supervisors and uplink that portchannel to a distro, core or some other segment, if you loose the active supervisor there will only be a blip and network traffic will continue.

check out a few commands on your 4510

show module
show module 5
show module 6
show interface status mod 5
show interface status mod 6

Thanks Patrick Callum for the reply..

Yes, module 5 and 6 are supervisors engines.  Need to know below things

- Can I use all 8 10G SFP+ ports at a time on active supervisor engine(slot 5) in SSO mode

- Whether 10G SFP+ ports on standby supervisor engine(slot 6) will be active that is whether any link can be terminated ?

In the below provided link Table 2 tells that in Dual Supervisor 4x10GE ports can be used in active and standby supervisor engine.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-728191.html

Thanks in advance..

Hi,

If you use a single sup, you can use all 8 ports (10G).  If you use 2 sups with redundancy SSO, you can use 4 ports (10G) from each sup.

HTH

Question on - " need to know whether standby supervisor engine uplink 10G SFP+ ports will be active"

Answer- Supervisor Engine 8-E has resiliency built into its uplinks.The active supervisor engine controls all of the 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports, including ports on itself and the other standby supervisor engine. Hence, two wire-speed 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks are in operation at all times, even if the active supervisor engine fails.

Below is the product guide. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-728191.html

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card