cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about multicasting

spivy6666
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in need of  Multicasting for my voice network. My issue ,,, I have a a 3560 L3 switch  ip based NOT IP exteneded services and of course budget issues.  The cureent setup is 10 VLANS on L3 with trunking/etherchannel setup to two L2 2960s. Now i know with this setup I cannot do multicasting, but I have another 1800 router. This is my Dev router, but I was thinking of doing router on a stick deal and creating a sub interface with a ip address within the vlan40 range. Do to this would i need to do a no switchport on the interface on the l3 switch that this will be pluged into? I would also need to setup trunking on that interface. As long as trunking is setup thoughout the other switches i can plug them into any port as long as its in vlan 40? I think i would then beable to enbale multicasting on the router interface and point the default gateway to all vlan 40 device to the ip of the sub interface?

Do I have this right. Please advise?

CCNA       

CCNA
3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, mutlicast traffic would be able to function with your setup. By the sounds of it you want multicast to be enabled on a certain VLAN?

See here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008059a9df.shtml

All you have to do is enable IGMP Querier on the switch for the interested VLAN.

conf t

!

ip igmp snooping querier

(This would kind of take the mrouter role)

You dont necessarily need a router do gain the ability to do multicast in this one vlan.

I hope I understood correctly and provided helpful information.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Show the output of 'show ip igmp snooping groups'

Yes - I think querier is enabled for all VLANs now, so you can pretty much get multicast working in your respective vlans.

Happy this helped, thank you for rating the post!

9 Replies 9

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, mutlicast traffic would be able to function with your setup. By the sounds of it you want multicast to be enabled on a certain VLAN?

See here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008059a9df.shtml

All you have to do is enable IGMP Querier on the switch for the interested VLAN.

conf t

!

ip igmp snooping querier

(This would kind of take the mrouter role)

You dont necessarily need a router do gain the ability to do multicast in this one vlan.

I hope I understood correctly and provided helpful information.

Hello,

thank you for the response when i try to do that i get the below

DistroSW1(config)#ip igmp snooping querier

IGMP Querier function cannot be operationally enabled on some VLANs because the required conditions have not been met.

DistroSW1(config)#ip igmp snooping querier ?

address            IGMP querier source IP address

max-response-time  IGMP querier maximum response time (sec)

query-interval     IGMP querier query interval (sec)

tcn                IGMP querier TCN related parameters

timer              IGMP other querier timer

version            IGMP version

IGMP Querier function cannot be operationally enabled on some VLANs because the required conditions have not been met.

CCNA

CCNA

Sorry, my mistake - its 'ip igmp snooping querier' only.

Please show the output of "show ip igmp snooping querier"

Test your multicast on the same LAN - it should work if IGMP is enabled (by default)

OK, so i did that and i show the below, how to i see the stats for the multicats packets now? Th ebelow shows me its able to send multicast traffic over the trunk but where do I see the stats?

DistroSW1#sh ip igmp snooping querier

Vlan      IP Address               IGMP Version   Port

-------------------------------------------------------------

2         10.10.10.1               v2            Switch

3         172.17.2.2               v2            Switch

10        172.17.1.1               v2            Switch

40        172.17.1.21              v2            Po2

AccessSVR-SW2#sh ip igmp snooping querier

Vlan      IP Address               IGMP Version   Port

-------------------------------------------------------------

10        172.17.1.1               v2            Po1

40        172.17.1.21              v2            Switch

CCNA

CCNA

Show the output of 'show ip igmp snooping groups'

Awsome!!! thanks. So i can do this with any vlan that lack of a better word boadcasting multicasting traffic? THnaks! so much easier then mrouter.

CCNA

CCNA

Yes - I think querier is enabled for all VLANs now, so you can pretty much get multicast working in your respective vlans.

Happy this helped, thank you for rating the post!

I know its been a while snice i posted here but I notice my L2 switch is showing the machine doing multicast but i dont see the trunk port under that vlan (40). This tells me that users that try to get to this machine are not connecting via multicast. See below. Port gi 10 is the server that is set for multicasting on Accesssvr-sw2. but machines that are connecting though the l3 switch (DistroSW1) to get to this switch ( trunk port does not show vlan 40 ).  Ideas?

Thanks

AccessSVR-SW2#sh ip igmp snooping groups

Vlan      Group                    Type        Version     Port List

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

10        239.255.255.250          igmp        v2          Gi1/0/24, Gi1/0/25,

Gi1/0/26, Gi1/0/27,

Gi1/0/30, Gi1/0/35,

Gi1/0/37, Po1

40        239.222.222.222          igmp        v2          Gi1/0/10

DistroSW1#sh ip igmp snooping groups

Vlan      Group                    Type        Version     Port List

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2         239.255.255.250          igmp        v2          Gi0/3

3         224.0.1.60               igmp        v1,v2       Gi0/45

3         239.192.83.80            igmp        v2          Gi0/45

3         239.255.255.250          igmp        v2          Gi0/45

10        224.0.1.22               igmp        v2          Gi0/14, Gi0/16

10        224.0.1.40               igmp        v2          Gi0/16

10        224.0.1.60               igmp        v1,v2       Gi0/16, Gi0/31,

Gi0/46

10        224.3.4.5                igmp        v2          Gi0/16, Gi0/35,

Gi0/37

10        232.133.104.73           igmp        v2          Gi0/16, Po1

10        239.192.83.80            igmp        v2          Gi0/16, Gi0/46

10        239.255.255.250          igmp        v2          Gi0/14, Gi0/16,

Gi0/31, Gi0/33,

Gi0/46, Po1,

Po2

10        239.255.255.253          igmp        v2          Gi0/16, Gi0/46

CCNA

CCNA

I think i found the problem.. I'm trying to do multicast over vlans. How would I perform this on my layer 3 switch. Is there a restriction on iso version i have ip base not extended? Please advise

CCNA

CCNA
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card