Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Routed Ports

Hello all,

I am working on designing an ESXi lab with several Cisco components in it and I have question about about my edge and how I should route traffic to the internet.  

Please see the attached diagram I created for this lab.

My question is, should I use routed ports on my edge switches that face my router and just use a default static route on the edge switches to route the traffic to the internet?  I don't want to over complicate the lab too much (yet), so I just wanted to make sure my logic was correct on this.  I assume that I would first need to create a default static route on the core switch for the networks I want to route to the edge switches?

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice.

ESXi Lab - Page 1.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know you cannot use L3 routed ports on the 2960s. 

You can however use a dedicated vlan so the only port in that vlan is the one connecting to the router and then you create an SVI for that vlan and assign your IP there. 

A default route on the core switches pointing to edge switches is fine. 

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know you cannot use L3 routed ports on the 2960s. 

You can however use a dedicated vlan so the only port in that vlan is the one connecting to the router and then you create an SVI for that vlan and assign your IP there. 

A default route on the core switches pointing to edge switches is fine. 

Jon

Excellent, thank you Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco