cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about routing 2 VLAN's to a single Port

bdixon105
Level 1
Level 1

I have a request for the following, and am not sure if this can be achieved (and if so, I have yet to set something like this up, so I hope someone here could help me).  I know that routing the two VLAN's and having them trunk to a port works, but the endpoint device is typically a switch that can recognize and manipulate tagged traffic.  In this case, VLAN 1 is the default VLAN, however given that the IP's are on different subnets and they don't join anywhere else (routing wise, they are plugged into the same core, just trunked at different ports).

I'm running a core switch that is sending a 802.1q Trunk with 2 VLAN's to another Cisco L3 switch. Cisco's are both 3560G's -- and the IOS supports the requested routing. One of the VLAN's is a gaming server / workstation VLAN, whilst the other is for internet bound traffic only. The two VLAN's should never cross, except in this one situation where 4 PC's on this isolated Cisco L3 switch require access to both VLAN's simultaneously.

I know that on some PC's you can manually specify a VLAN ID.. but in this case, where I need one port to share traffic bound to 2 subnets.. is that possible? Is that something I can handle with InterVLAN routing or IP routing on the CORE? Is this something I can accomplish via a host file or something on the client PC... since only a number of apps are required for the "Gaming VLAN"... and if so, how do I identify the VLAN tagging that's going on in the background?

VLAN 1 - is Gaming VLAN, subnet 10.10.10.X

VLAN 2 - is Internet VLAN, subnet 192.168.150.X

Sorry if this is a basic question, I am just not familiar with combining VLAN resources as explained...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help!!

--Brian

1 Reply 1

wilrow113
Level 1
Level 1

Does the core switch have default gateways for the 2 vlans if so the PC's just needed to be in one vlan and can route through the core switch to the other vlan to access internet

a pc can normaly on support connection to a single vlan and do not understand dot1q trunking

if the pc is in vlan 1 and has an address in that subnet it should be able to ping the core gateway address

if this works then you should try and ping the ip address of the gateway in vlan 2 and so on

hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card