cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Cisco 250 Smart Switch to segregate traffic

elamere
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, this may be a stupid question. If it is, I apologize. I am not familiar with network setup or tools.

Question: I work in a university lab. I would like to use the Cisco 250 smart switch to isolate my lab from the larger university network. That is, I have a number of devices (power supplies, controllers, etc) that can be accessed via an assigned ip. I do not want them to be accessed via the larger university network, just a local computer. I would also like to be able to use the switch to provide access to the university network to these computers. Can I assign certain ports to certain networks? Can I segregate them using just this switch? Is this something you can do with VLAN?

I have connected the switch and can talk to the devices (when the university network is unplugged). Once I plug in the university network to the switch, the ip of the switch reverts to a DHCP university ip that I can not communicate with.

My boss has suggested this is possible, but I am not sure how or what terminology to use to search for the answer. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated!

1 Reply 1

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4
As far as I can understand from your post you are try to achieve some kind of network segregation
something like this
lab network >>>>Cisco 250 switch>>>>University network

There are many ways to segment the network for eg :

You can have the lab network in different VLAN and disable DHCP from the university network and for internet and outside access you can create a default route on the Cisco 250 switch to the university network. I am not sure of the configuration and design of the network.
You can also use ACL's to restrict access.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card