Views
Helpful
Replies

question on moving from a Cisco 6504 to a Cisco 6509

nikhil.kulkarni
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

We are planning to move from a Cisco 6504 switch to a Cisco 6509 switch. We are doing this because we are running short of ports on the Cisco 6504.

This Cisco 6504 switch has a 48-port line card, a ACE-10 module and FWSM module..and of course a SUP720-3B in the slot 1 of the Cisco 6504 slot.

Now, what I plan to do is just move the SUP720 from Slot 1 in the 6504 switch to the slot 5 in the 6509 switch.

The other 3 module I am going to move them as it is in the same slot.

I have done the study but I just wanted to get some advice on in case there could be even a minor problem during this.

I also understand that all the modules are compatible with the Cisco 6509 switch.

aus-clm-6504#sh modul

Mod Ports Card Type                                                       Model              Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

1    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)                    WS-SUP720-3B       ***********

2   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX     **********

3    1  Application Control Engine Module                ACE10-6500-K9      ***********

4    6  Firewall Module                                              WS-SVC-FWM-1       ***********

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Nik.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

To the best of my knowledge, from what you describe, I would expect the 6509 to boot right up (unless your installed IOS is so old it doesn't recognize the chassis - are the 6504 and 6509 original or -E chassis?).  The only expected issue you should have would be renumbering of your supervisor ports.  If you're using them, edit that portion of your configure with the new port numbering and re-apply after booting the 6509.

Thanks Joseph,

Both the chassis are "E" chassis. The IOS is "s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH7.bin" so this is also a relatively newer version.

Thanks,

Nik

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card