cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about DHCP

onel.riveron
Level 1
Level 1

The router circled in red will be my DHCP server. Can I use that router to assign an IP address to all the routers not directly connected to the switch?

If yes, please give me a hint where to start.

Thank you!!!

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Cisco IOS can act as dhcp server and allocate an IP address dynamically on the right pool based on option 82 from your replay agent (another Cisco router for example).

If we analyze your network, R6 and R3 knows how to reach R5 which is your dhcp server. If you want to sign dynamic IP to R1 interface (f1/0), you'll need to configure ip-helper and option 82 on f1/0 on R6. But it will become harder when you'll need to assign an IP on f0/0 and f0/1 from R1 as the facing interfaces on R2 and R4 are down.

I bet this is a lab you're doing but usually we don't have all routers and all their interfaces in dhcp assignment because it will be hard to achieve that in a real world.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

schaef350
Level 1
Level 1

You can use the "ip helper address <IP address>" command on the interfaces of other routers (for instance the fa0/0 interface of R2) to forward DHCP requests it receives from R1's f0/0 interface to your master DHCP server router (R5).   You would of course need to have the needed pool configured on R5 for the subnets you hope to allocate addresses for.

Hope that helps... 

Please rate if this was helpful :-)

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts

Hello

After a lot of work i guess you could but why would you want to?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Honestly, to learn and to get as familiar as possible with these routers and Cisco's IOS. And I also like messing with these things.

I'm preparing to take the CCNA soon, but I don't want just to pass the test, I want to know everything I can and as much of it as possible.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card