cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"System returned to ROM" and "Last reset from" codes.

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Hello.

We often have devices reset for various reasons, but mostly we just look if they are reset from power-on or software error. But sometimes interesting messages and combinations appear.

I searched the documentation, but there are too many links to the "sh ver" outputs and i could not find the documentation for what exactly each line means and what are the standard codes - reset, system-reset, etc.

So i would like to ask if someone could point me to the documentation of the meaning and starndard messages of "System returned to ROM" and "Last reset from" lines.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

not sure if you might have already seen this document, but it listsvarious crash and reload reasons and explanations:

Troubleshooting Router Crashes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/iad/ps397/products_tech_note09186a00800b4447.shtml

HTH,

GP

sushilk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Normally "System returned to ROM" and "Last reset from" line shows that there was some problem due to which router was rebooted and then returned to ROMMON mode. In thsi case the router will not boot up normally. It will always boot in rommon mode. This genereally is due to software of hardware forced crash.

Regards,

Sushil

Well, I am not looking for router crash codes or why router restarts. I need to know what each lines mean, both the "System returned to ROM" and "Last reset from".

For example:

"System returned to ROM by power-on"

and

"Last reset from power-on"

means that router was turned on by plugging in the power cable.

"System returned to ROM by reset"

and

"Last reset from system-reset"

Means that system was SOMEHOW restarted.

"System returned to ROM by power-on"

and

"Last reset from system-reset"

Also means that system was SOMEHOW restarted.

What i am trying to find, is what exaclty each line means and how can i with certainity can tell why did the router restarted - by hand of an operator, by power outage or else.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card