Views
Helpful
Replies

Radius Authentication & Console

Jay_F
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Dont know if anyone can help. I've set up RADIUS authentication on a test switch and started implementing it in the live environment. We're using an windows NPS server for the authentication part which works well. Although I am a little confused of how it should work if the NPS server is unavailable. It seems to me (maybe my config is wrong) but the NPS server has to be down in order to log in. Even if there is communication with the NPS server, but maybe a config setting is wrong it still attempts to login via radius. If I connect in via console cable it still attempts to connect to the NPS server. So say, for some reason hypothetically a config setting in NPS isnt quite right and prevents logging in via RADIUS, even though there is connectivity it attempt to authenticate. How can I login locally via the console cable and prevent it from using RADIUS ?

Thanks

17 Replies 17

walwar
Level 1
Level 1

Can you provide your aaa switch configuration?

yeah ok:

aaa new-model

aaa group server radius RAD_SERVERS

server-private [ip of NPS server] auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813 key [shared secret key]

aaa authentication login default group RAD_SERVERS local

aaa authorization exec default group RAD_SERVERS local if-authenticated

aaa authorization console

If I am not mistaking you need to add line after local to this:

Couple of years ago I had the exact same issue, and I think this fixed it for me.. if I am not mistaking. 

I'm not sure I understand, i already have the line:

do I need to change it ?

Change it to:

aaa authentication login default group RAD_SERVERS local line

Can you show us your console config as well? I think you need to remove if-authenticated from this command:

Hi, I tried what you suggested by adding the line:

but it was still trying to authenticate to radius server when connecting in via console cable. Also tried what you suggested by taking out the if-authenticated and that didnt work either.

As I said, I am not completely sure which one solved mine, but hopefully someone else would be able to help you.

ok thanks for your help though :) much appreciated. If anyone has any further ideas? thanks.

another question: i've set up to NPS groups, 1x for admin (priv level 15) and another for service desk staff (priv level 1). Am I right in saying that when a service desk technician logs in they will access privilege level 1, but does this then require you to enter the local password for enable ? - mine does anyway. I presume I would have to set the privilege level higher i.e 3 or 5 to allow automatic access to privielege exec mode? but then allow access to specific commands like show run, conf t etc ?

I am a bit confused about what is working and what is not working. I also think that there may be issues about authentication and also about authorization. I suggest that we try to work on them one at a time. 

In terms of authentication if you have this in your configuration

then when you attempt to login at the console it will always attempt to authenticate using radius and will use local id and password and line password as backups. In an earlier post you seem to say that your login is only successful if it is not authenticating with radius and using the local id as backup. If that is the case it suggests that the user id you are attempting to use is not set up correctly in radius. Is that the case? If not then please clarify what is happening when you attempt to authenticate on the console port.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I am using aaa authentication login default group RAD_SERVERS local and say if I log in via console cable and disconnect my test switch from the network it attempts to authenticate by radius and after a few attempts of not receiving comms back from the radius server it allows me to log in locally. My issue was how about the fact there might be a configuration issue within NPS and because the switch can communicate with the server continues to attempt to login via radius authentication. I have to disconnect the switch from the network if I want to connect in locally via console cable.

I suppose what I am asking can you use radius authentication just for telnet / ssh connections and use console cable to connect in locally ?

The other point I wanted to ask about was privilege levels. I have set up 2x security groups in AD, 1x for our Admins and the other for service desk technicians. Admins have level 15 and so far I only set technicians as 1. When I test and log in as a technician user with privelege level 1 should when i access privileged exec mode %error in authentication% or should it allow me to access but with the local enable password?

Thanks

You are asking two questions, the first is easy and the second less so. So lets start with easy. Yes you can use Radius to authenticate ssh and telnet and use the console to authenticate with the local id and password. To do this you would create two aaa authentication commands. You probably would want to use your existing aaa authentication command that uses Radius for ssh and telnet. Then configure a second aaa authentication to specify an authentication method that uses just the local id and specify an authentication method on the console port that uses this method.

If you want to operate with 2 groups where one group (admins) has full level 15 access and the second group (technicians) has restricted access you do not do this in authentication.  You accomplish this using authorization. On the server you associate user id with the appropriate group, and then for each group you specify the commands that they are allowed to execute. Doing this can be pretty complicated.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks - I am using the following to allow radius authentication although it doesnt allow me if I connect in via console cable to connect in locally. That is what i'm trying to achieve if as you say it is possible what would i need to add into this code:

aaa new-model

aaa group server radius RAD_SERVERS

server-private [ip of NPS server] auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813 key [shared secret key]

aaa authorization console

The 2nd part which you say is complicated I have already done. The question I was asking however, was if as I have set the technicians group with privilege 1, should they be allowed to type 'enable' and get to the privileged exec command ? and if so (which my test seems to do) why would it ask for local password and not the AD authenticated password if using SSH. Seems pointless, means I would have to change all the local passwords. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card