cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate limit on subinterface

omair.siddiqui
Level 1
Level 1

I need to solve to a scenario. The remote sites are being monitored by IP cameras from head office on 2 Mbps link . the IT team has apparently no control over cameras so i need to rate limit the IP cameras traffic on branch router. The Video traffic is coming on dedicated seperate subinterface on LAN . How can i limit it to use a max of 128Kbps WAN link

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Omair,

If you want to rate limit your 2 Mb WAN link to 128000 for certain IP segment you can try some thing like this example:

Interface s0/0

rate-limit input access-group 101 128000 24000 48000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
ip address a.b.c.d 255.255.255.252
rate-limit output access-group 101 200000 24000 48000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255  (192.168.1.0/24 is the IP adress segment for your cameras)

Also, please refer to this document for more info on rate limiting

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/qos/command/reference/qrfcmd8.html

HTH

Reza

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use rate limiting using CAR as mentioned by Reza Post

or you could use MQC for this limiting to police the cameras traffic to max of 128 K

lets assume your cameras IPs 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2

access-list 100 permit ip host 10.1.1.1 any

access-list 100 permit ip host 10.1.1.2 any

class-map IP_CAMERA

match access-group 100

policy-map POLICE

class IP_CAMERA

police cir 128000

then in your remote site ( where the cameras setup ) apply the above policy i on your WAN link in the outbound direction

int x/x

service-policy output POLICE

to verify it

show policy-map int x/x

good luck

if helpful Rate

Thanks for reza and marwan!!! Thats really helpful. The IP cameras resides att braches and braches are using 1811 router (with 8 port builtin switch) On 1811  VLANs are created, video vlan is seperated there.. Whynot i apply MQC or ratelimit on video VLAN. or would i need to deploy it WAN itnerface of 1811. Thanks

Hi Omair

Its better to do it at the WAN router, as reza mentioned.. on routers you can have modular qos configurations applied which makes it easier to manage.. on switches you might find it tough to implement prioritization, policing, based on your switch model.. also as a best practice, you can mark packets (video/voice/data) at the edge, and have qos policing done on your exit point , which is the wan router.. i think you are on the right track restricting traffic on routers...

Hope this helps..

raj

Thanks Sachin;

I agree with you. Actually 1811 is router as well as 8 port switch. Therefore i am curious to know the best place is VLAN or WAN interface?

Hi Omair

If it is going to be rate-limiting, then you can do it on the LAN interface, for the incoming traffic... but if you want to do class based policers, you can apply it on the outgoing interface, since that is the point you want to restrict the traffic...

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Hi Omair,

You should deploy it on the outbound interface of you WAN.

How many camera you are deploying at the branch office and what speed?

I know most cameras use 10/100/1000 coming out of the encoder to the switch.

If you have a lot of camera, you should think about using Muticast.

If memory serves me right, the camera do about 5MB each. Of course some of the new camera do HD also.

HTH

Reza

I personally visit the customer premises and find out that instead of IP cameras they are using 16 plain camereas that are connected to a server with DVR cards. So essentially i will have to play with a single IP address rather than 16 IP addresses. I am not quite sure if 256 K is enough for 16 cameras (2 are rotating cameras).

The cameras portion comes under different dept and we do not have control over it so the only thing we can do is to configure our router to limit it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card