cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: Intermittent Connectivity Issues w/DOT1X MDA

rcullum
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Just as a side question, but what ip device tracking global command did you use? I have a network with Mitel 5320 phones and they are not responding to device tracking arps. I suspect they dont like source 0.0.0.0 but wanted to know if you have seen similar for this phone?

2 Replies 2

I don't recall using any global config commands.  I only have the commands applied to the interfaces.  If I did use global commands, I may have removed them during my tshoot sessions and never put them back in.

if your subnet in the vlan is 192.168.1.0/24 

and you sue command :

ip device tracking probe auto-source fallback 0.0.0.6 255.255.255.0 override

arp probe will be send with ip 192.168.1.6 

note how dangerous it is if you put 0.0.0.1 and this 192.168.1.1 is your gateway ( all clients will learn that mac for 192.168.1.1 is mac address of l2 port on the switch and traffic will be lost )

if you use:

ip device tracking probe auto-source fallback 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 override

probes will be sent with 0.0.0.0 ip 

Confirmed with packet captures.

We have a case for this because this bring some issues 

- since this command is global it applies to all vlans, it is not guaranteed that you have ip X free in each subnet on access swithc

- since this command defines some fixed mask , strage things happens for smaller subnets , like in this example 192.168.1.32/28 

For your case though it might be ok to sue this command in case your phones ignore 0.0.0.0 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card