cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rebooting Sup2T supervisor modules

rogalskij
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning on rebooting both the supervisor sup2T modules in our 6509E core switch.  I want to do this with little to no downtime.  My supervisor modules are running 15.1(2)SY2 software on both.  the redundancy are configured to use SSO.  What command should I use, and in what order should I reboot them? I realize this is a bit of a newbie question but given that this is the core of our entire campus network, I would like to get this right with as little interruption to the users of our network (specifically our students) as possible.

Thank you all for your assistance in this.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
reload

Well I am familiar with the reload command, but don't I need to add switches to it or something so it doesn't reboot both modules? Or do the sups function themselves redundantly with no downtime? Also do I need to specify which sup to reload at a time?

You can use "redundancy reload peer" which only reboots the second sup.

Than after rebooting the second sup, you can switch over to the second sup and now the same for the other sup.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-1SY/config_guide/sup2T/15_1_sy_swcg_2T.pdf

HTH

When the supervisor cards reboot, the entire chassis reboots. This includes the line cards.
Depending on the config and the IOS version, a Sup2T takes about 7 minutes of outage.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card