Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendations for a 3508-XL fiber switch replacement

anestis.iliadis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

This is an easy question for all the architechs and designers out there. I have a stack of 3508-XL switches and one of them failed. Thankfully we have 2 spares but hese are more than 10 years old and have reaced EoL.

What is the equivalent switch of a 3508-xl replacement today?

thank you,

11 Replies 11

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Table 2. Table 2. Product Part Numbers Affected by This Announcement

End-of-Sale Product Part Number

Product Description

Replacement Product Part Number

Replacement Product Description

WS-C3508G-XL-EN

Catalyst 3508G XL: 8 GBIC ports

WS-C3750G-12S-S

Catalyst 3750 12 SFP + IPB Image

Product Migration Options

The recommended replacement for the Cisco Catalyst 3508G XL is the Cisco Catalyst 3750G-12S (Table 3). The Catalyst 3750 Series eases deployment of converged applications and adapts to changing business needs by providing configuration flexibility, support for converged network patterns, and automation of intelligent network services configurations.

Table 3. Product Comparisons

Cisco Catalyst 3508G XL

Cisco Catalyst 3750G-12S

Product part number

WS-C3508G-XL-EN

WS-C3750G-12S-S or WS-C3750G-12S-E

Stacking technology

GigaStack®GBIC (1 Gbps interconnect)

StackWise (32 Gbps interconnect)

Advanced QoS (4 egress queues, DSCP marking, Shaped Round Robin, Weighted Tail Drop, rate-limiting, and more)

No

Yes

Security features (ACLs, 802.1x, SSH, SNMPv3, DHCP snooping, dynamic ARP inspection, IP source guard, and more)

No

Yes

Superior manageability (Smartports, express setup, RSPAN, and more)

No

Yes

IP routing

No

Yes

IPv6 routing support in hardware

No

Yes

Forwarding rate for 64-byte packets

7 Mpps

17.9 Mpps (wire-

Thank you both for the reply.

I looked up the new 3750x and it looks like a fantastic product. The price is a bit out of our budget but we can manage as long as we can use the GBICS from the old 3508.

The 3508 doesn't support the show inventory command so I can't get any specifics on the GBICs apart from that they are 1000BaseSX. Will they work in the 3750x or do I need new GBICs?

I've contacted several people and I've heard conficting opinions so far so I'm turning to you for a definitive answer.

If they are not supported is there another switch model that could accommodate the old GBICs ?

thanks again for your help.

unfortunately, you can not use your existing GBIC from the old 3500.  The 3750X is SFP based.

You also need to change your fiber patch cords, the 3500 uses SC connector, while the 3750X takes LC.

Most new switches use SFP optics. All GBIC based switch are pretty much phased out.

HTH

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Replace it with a switch that is not EOL or soon to be EOL.

WS-3750X-12S-S

see data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

HTH

Reza, thank you for replying.

I called Cisco sales and they told me that the modules are compatible so I'm really confused right now. I only spoke with a sales person so I don't trust them 100%.

I don't have access to the site as its a remote location so I cannot confirm part numbers to check anything myself.

Are you 100% sure they won't work?

If that's the case is there another platform apart from the 3750x that CAN support the GBICs that I have?

I called Cisco sales and they told me that the modules are compatible so I'm really confused right now. I only spoke with a sales person so I don't trust them 100%.

You propebly talked to a not very knowledgeable sales guy

How could they be compatible?  The size of the optics are different. The size of a GIBC is almost twice as long as an SFP,

have a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/products_data_sheet09186a00800925c7.html

If this is your current switch, there is no way you can take a GBIC from this switch and put it in a 3750X SFP.

HTH

Ok so I cannot use the GBICs with the 3750x.

The 3508 that I have are 13 years old nearly... now between then and the latest 3750x is there anything else that could work with those GBICs ?

thank you,

I don't know of any NEW Cisco switch that is GBIC based.  All new switches use SFP. I would not recommend you buy a switch that is a few years old and put it in production, as these older switches have limited flash, memory, IOS functionality, etc...

HTH

The price is a bit out of our budget but we

Try Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment if you still want to purchase 3508XL.

If they don't have one, let me know.  I have one at home acting as a coffee table.

PS:  When I have annoying visitors, I turn it on.

Thanks for the reply leolaohoo!

We do have another spare since we were proactive enough to have two spares in stock so we are covered for a little while. However we are trying to evaluate our options and plan for the future and that's why I was looking at the 3750x and not the 3750.

But in the end after weighing all our our options and prices, the 3750x + 16 xSPF modules is definitely way out of our price range. I wish it wasn't because it trully sounds like a great product.

So right now we're considering using fiber to ethernet tranceivers and then getting an 24 port ethernet 3750x.

I have a quick question about that.. what will determine the kind of tranceivers that we will need? The type of the fiber (multi vs single) that's laid down? The ethernet speed? The cable types? Or all that?

thank you,

Talk to Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment.  They are not only selling refurbished old models but new models too.  You can get refurbished SFP and 3750G-12S, the direct replacement for the 3508.

what will determine the kind of tranceivers that we will need? The type of the fiber (multi vs single) that's laid down?

Total distance between the two points.  300 - 400 metres you can get away with multi-mode fibre.  Beyond that it's single-mode fibre.

Ethernet speed will depend on your module.  You can get SFP modules for 100/1000Base or SFP+ for 10 Gbps, QSFP for 40 Gbps and CFP for 100 Gbps.

Cables?  OM3 can push 300 metres on a multi-mode fibre.  OM4 can push up to 400 metres multi-mode fibre.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: