cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended hosts per VLAN

remco.gussen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a Best Practice guide that describes how many hosts are recommended per VLAN..

Maybe there are differences in "normal" hosts and "broadcast-intensive" hosts...

Regards,

Remco

5 Replies 5

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

"In various Cisco design documents, recommendations as to VLAN size vary: "it depends". Still, one rough set of numbers is 500 hosts in a broadcast domain, if speakers are using TCP/IP and fairly quiet"

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/switchvlan.html

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Remco,

The common design is to use /24 for LANs and /30 for point-to-point WAN/LAN links.

With that said, the subnet allocation is often driven by business requirement. For instance, if you create a server Vlan and the business requires to only have 13 servers on that Vlan, you aren't going to waste a /24 on it, do you?

Same can be said if the business has 300 servers and want all servers in the same Vlan, you need something bigger than a /24.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hmm. I Know that.. If you are using a private address space, it doesn't matter to use a /24 for 13 servers...

Was just wondering if there were "hard" numbers of hosts by best practice.

If you have a group of 600 student computers, are you going to create one, big /22 subnet ? I think it is better to create 3 / 24 networks, or one /23 and one /24. Broadcast domains stay small in this way...

Hi Remco,

I don't think that there hard numbers recommendation but it all depend on your design. You could create a /22 as you pointed out and avoid the need of routing various VLANs if they are all share the same functions.

bill.morton
Level 1
Level 1

As a point of reference, 1000 hosts will completely saturate a 10Mb network with nothing but control traffic.

Stick with /24 and route where necessary.

If you go above /24 implement private-vlans to control your broadcasts.

I have done work on a campus network that is a /20 and it sucks ... avoid if at all possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: