cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reconfigure 3750x XPS cables on the Fly

Chris Gill
Level 1
Level 1

We have project going where I flew in and see that we do not have the 3m XPS cable that we need to go from the 4th switch to the top switch to complete the ring.

I am planning for a temporary to setup a 2 groups where switches one and 2 support each other and switches 3 and 4 support each other.

Once we get the 3m power cable is it possible to reconfigure the stack on the fly or does this require a shut down?  I tried to find something in the white papers on this but can't seem to find a definitive answer.                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, for power cable you don't need to reboot or rebuild. You connected the way you explained it and than when you get the last power cable you plug it between the top and bottom.  That does not require down time. The switch will recognize the cable as soon as you plug it in.

Originally, I was under the impression that you are referring to data stacking cable and not power cable.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is going to require down time.  With 2 stacks, there is master in each one and so when you go from 2 stacks to one, you would need to reconfigure one of the masters as member.  The port configuration also need to be changed.  with 2 stacks the ports are 1/0/1 to 1/0/x and 2/0/1 to 2/0/x.  Now you move to one stack you need to rebuild the stack and reboot so now the master can see 3 members and the ports are 1/0/1 to 1/0/x 2/0/1 3/0/1 and 4/0/1.

If you are able to connect the top and bottom switch with one stacking cable for now, you can build all 4 in one stack but the top and bottom switches have only one stacking cable connected for now until you get the new cable, which should work just fine too.

HTH

I am building them as one stack of 4 with switch 1 as the master.   What I am planning is to build two Stack power groups 1 and 2.    Group 1 would be switches 1 and 2, and group 2 would be switches 3 and 4. 

Down the road in a couple months or so we get the 3m XPS cable I would be changing it to 1 stack power group, remove stack power group 2.

So would I be able to recable the XPS power cables hot or will a reboot be required to change how Stack power setup.

Right now I plan to run  the powe XPS cables from 1 to 2   and 3 to 4.    After getting the cable  the design would be 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 4 to 1 to create the ring setup.

Yes, for power cable you don't need to reboot or rebuild. You connected the way you explained it and than when you get the last power cable you plug it between the top and bottom.  That does not require down time. The switch will recognize the cable as soon as you plug it in.

Originally, I was under the impression that you are referring to data stacking cable and not power cable.

HTH

Thank you a bunch for confirming this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card