cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Red Hat Linux AS4 working with Bonding on Cisco

rdboyd
Level 1
Level 1

I have an IBM Blade Server 'H' with HS21 blades. The servers have two gig interfaces. We are running bonding (method '0') with packet going out round robin.

The connections are to the IBM/Cisco IGESM (Cisco ~2950) blade modules. We have trunk failover, 3 VLANs (10,11,999) to the servers using 802.1q.

The problem is multicast will not work to this server/blade. Pings will work and operate fine. However, if I 'shutdown' one of the IGESM connections to the blade, all is well and multicast will operate fine. If I bring the link back up on the 'shutdown' interface, multicast will stop working as well as I will drop every other ping. It may or may not come back correctly after a while.

What are the areas I need to look into? I think the IGESM modules are correctly configured as well as the single 6500 we are connecting the IGESMs to. We think the bonding config, NIC BIOS, or drivers may need some attention. I have followed the IBM redbook on the IGESM and I know the 6500 extremely well. Let me know your thoughts and guidance.

regards

Rick

1 Reply 1

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

The Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 bonding module, when configured in 802.3ad (mode=4) mode, is inter-operable with Cisco etherchannel operating in 802.3ad mode.

http://www.neos-it-training.com/oln_rhlxsad2.php

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card