Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistributing Statics into OSPF and EIGRP

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello All,

I am doing some testing with RD'ing statics into both OSPF and EIGRP and I am finding that my neighbour routers are learning the routes via OSPF. Should EIGRP not take preference?

I have a static route which I then reference in a prefix list. I have a route-map matching the prefix list and then RD'ing that into the routing processes (both EIGRP and OSPF).

e.g -

router eigrp 100
 redistribute static metric 100000 1 255 1 1500 route-map TEST

router ospf 1
 redistribute static subnets route-map TEST

The OSPF process always seems to "win" and advertise the route to my neighbour router. Is this using a better metric?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Umesh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

EIGRP has two metrics 90- for internal routes ie routes originated within EIGRP (by a network statement) and 170 - for routes redistributed into EIGRP from other routing protocols. OSPF has only one ie 120 for internal and external routes. When you redistribute the same prefix into both processes OSPF (120) is preferred over EIGRP external (120). Hope this answers your question. 

Regards

Umesh

View solution in original post

Umesh,

You're correct but be careful with the administrative distances. OSPF uses 110, not 120 (120 is for RIP).

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Umesh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

EIGRP has two metrics 90- for internal routes ie routes originated within EIGRP (by a network statement) and 170 - for routes redistributed into EIGRP from other routing protocols. OSPF has only one ie 120 for internal and external routes. When you redistribute the same prefix into both processes OSPF (120) is preferred over EIGRP external (120). Hope this answers your question. 

Regards

Umesh

Umesh,

You're correct but be careful with the administrative distances. OSPF uses 110, not 120 (120 is for RIP).

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the typo and thanks for correcting. :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card