Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy between two switches

siddindia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a test bed in which i urgentely need configuration help in L3 switches:-

1) There are two switches of cisco 3750G.

2) one switch is configured with 3 vlans.

3) we need to configure second switch for redundancy .

4)A PC with linux system and with 2 LAN ports, is connected to different switches on same VLAN.

Now i have to configure both switches for redundancy, so that if one port of one switch goes down then from second switch and same vlan port, work done smothly.

Kindly suggest me solution urgently.

Regards,

Siddhartha

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Siddhartha,

Since you are using 3750s, you can stack the 2 switches together, this way when one of the switches fails, you still have the second one.

HTH

Reza

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Sidd

Stack the switches and virtually, both the switches will look like a single chassis ! you will manage the switches with one ip address and have the vlan definitions common to both the switches. Have a look at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stackportscables

Hope this helps. All the Best

Raj

loworderbit1
Level 1
Level 1

Stacking the 3750's will provide you with a single switch block.  This doesn't necesarily constitute redundancy from your host's perspective if your host is connected to only one of these switches.

Redundancy is achieved  by connecting each host interface to ports on separate switches within the stack.  You can then "bond" your ports together on the Linux side, and create an etherchannel on the switch side.  You can use LACP to negotiate the etherchannel with ports connected to different switches on the 3750.

Hope this helps,

Dave

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

Stacking is the best option you have.

regards,

Varun

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card