Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy LAN Switch Connection

pablorduarte69
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I want to connect "Link" up two  Buildings each with Two Cisco 2960 switches. the Buildings will be connected via wireless bridges that should be transparant to Vlans and such.

Building A has Two swithes in a Cluster I called - Building-A-  They are both linked together via port GigabitEthernet0/1.

Building B also has two Switches in a Cluster I called Building-B-  They are also linked together via port GigabitEthernet0/1

At Building A I have two wireless bridges each of them conncected to Port 24 on switch #1 and switch #2-  I want these ports bo be in a Link Agregation configuration so that both Wireless Bridges are providing a redundant link to Building B.

At Building B I have also connect the two wireless bridges to Port 24  on Swithc #3 and #4.

Switch 1 <==>Bridge1<====>Switch3

Switch 2<===>Bridge2<====>Switch4

I created an Etherchannel Group 1 on Switch 1 and 2  and another Etherchannel on Group 1 on Switch 3 and 4.

This configuration has not been succesfull!  HELP PLEASE

I'm confused as to the correct usage of the Etherchannel and also need advice to see if all of the switches should be on the same cluster and VTP Domian so that all of the VLAN information flows from one Building to the other.

THANKS VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL ADVICE TO THIS DISCUSSION!!

Pablo

2 Replies 2

AhmedSonba
Level 1
Level 1

in brief  EtherChannel  provides a solution for requirment  of  higher bandwidth between servers, routers, and switches than single-link Ethernet link  provides

Please refer to the link below for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_white_paper09186a0080092944.shtml

And on the other hand if I was doing the same implementation that you are doing

I would do the the configuration and test things in the lab first , for example I would connect normal Ethernet Cables and  test everthing all the configuration

and when you are sure that everything working fine, than connect to the Wireless  bridges.

Hope It will help

Ahmed Sonba

zac.quinn
Level 1
Level 1

Pablo,

You cannot create an etherchannel using ports on two separate 2960 switches.  Both ports need to be on the same physical switch in order for them to create the etherchannel.  If you used 3750's with a stackwise connector you could then create your etherchannel with the ports on separate stack members ie interfaces f1/0/24 and f2/0/24.

Hope this helps

Zac

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card