Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy on c3750 switch stack

eezergeezer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I know probably a very simple one however getting a little confused.

I have a single switch stack comprising of 2 x c3750 connected via stackwise.

Customer is connecting to it with 1 fiber connection currently and I have another ready to be plugged in.

I have a vlan created for this connection eg vlan 100.

SVI on the vlan is 10.1.156.1/28

with the customer using 10.1.156.14/28 at their end.

I want to connect the 2nd cross connect to the 2nd switch in the stack. Whats the best way for me to achieve redundancy on the connection.

If I connect will spanning tree block one ?

Can I use HSRP?

please advise

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The      Author of this posting offers the information contained within this      posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding   that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any    purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only  and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any  kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own  risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In      no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever    (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or    profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's    information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of   such  damage.

Posting

If you have STP active, it should break the loop by blocking one of the two links (which might be per VLAN).

Perhaps better, if the other side of the link supports it, is having the two ports as a Etherchannel group.  The two advantages, you're able to use both links for the same VLAN traffic and link failure should be less noticeable.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want to connect the 2nd cross connect to the 2nd switch in the stack. Whats the best way for me to achieve redundancy on the connection.

What do you mean by this?  Are you talking about the stack-wise cable or the 2nd uplink?

If you are talking about the 2nd uplink then the best way is to configure Etherchannel.  Otherwise you'll need to play around with STP and this can cause nightmares-your-mom-warns-you-about when not properly monitored.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card