cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant LAN Links

Wajma_2
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Site that is connected via Wireless Bridge to the Main Site, the site is on separate VLAN with Cisco 3560 switch. The main site has 6509 swith. Configuration as per attached diagram.

We are connecting a fiber between the remote and the main site and adding a 3560E switch at the remote site, however we would like to keep the wireless connection as a backup in case the fiber is severed the wireless will be availble. Attached diagram shows detailed cofiguration. I would like to know what should I change to make this working. STP is enabled on all switches.

Thanks for your help.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You may simply run OSPF an all your devices. This way you don't have to worry about STP.  Add a /30 between the new SWB2 and SWB1 and SWB2 and the 6500.

And you already have a subnet between the SWB1 and the other 3560.  Depending on the size of the link, you may have to manipulate the cost for the interface between SWB1 and SWB2 to make it the primary route.  All can go into one area (area 0)

HTH

Thank you so much for your feedback and help with this. I have another question, by putting the links between SWB1-SWB2 and SWB2-6509 in separate subnet, will I be able to transfer another VLAN for example VLAN 6 which will carry the VOIP traffic across the network.

Sure, your voice vlan (vlan 6) would be just like any other vlan you have. It would get routed using OSPF, the same way vlan 5 and other vlans do.  Keep in mind, in this design you will not be able to extend a vlan from one side to the other. This would a routed network.  You terminate you vlans locally in each device and OSPF between all your devices.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card