Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant links recommendation

Chris_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

We are trying to setup our second floor with redundant Internet links as shown on the graph below. We have 2 cables from Floor 1 to Floor 2 my initial idea is to hook them and playing with STP priority ... any better ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

Capture.PNG

27 Replies 27

@Reza Sharifi  Thanks Reza! I think we are on the same page, I will test and post later!

Hi Reza

Quick question - my NXOS1 and NXOS2 are VPC providers and they are connected between themselves with peer-link etc, the same is valid for my other pair of switches NXOS4 and NXOS5 are VPC providers. So can I count on STP in that scenario for the links between the switch pairs?

Is there a specific reason you can't use another vPC between the 2 sets? If any of the 4 switches went down, or one of the links, everything would use the other link. 

---
Please mark this post as helpful if you found it, well, helpful.

@danjmcintyre 

Hi Danjmcintyre 

No there is no reason, I wasn't aware you can have VPC in this setup, is that actually possible please confirm!

Capture.PNG

yes vPC possible, please refer the document which was reffered before.

if you have enough ports and fibre leads good to have setup as mentioned for fully redundant.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi 

Hi Balaji

Can you please confirm! This is the correct setup - I have only 2 cables from floor 1 to floor 2 and there is no additional connections allowed/possible between both floors. 

cisco_VPC_Design.png

I was suggesting 4 cables from Floor 1 to Floor 2, it is good to have 4 cables as a best design.

if not you can use 2 cables to Straght to uplink switch rather cross ( Cross can also be done, but it is easy for your design wise.

BB

@balaji.bandi 

Hi Balaji

In our case we have only 2 cables and we cannot add more. Can we go VPC between the floors or we simply hook them and play with STP priorities?

Both is possiblem depends in requirement, if vPC availble i prefer with vPC. so you can utilise the links 100%

BB

@balaji.bandi 

Hi Balaji

Please confirm if this setup is valid!

vPC.PNG

I don't see how that is valid. See figure 9 in this link.  This is your design. It requires 4 links.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH

@Reza Sharifi  thanks Reza that's what I thought but i was just trying to understand Balaji @balaji.bandi 

I'm just going to do what you recommended - trunks and STP priorities on NXOS1 and NXOS2 - STP priority is actually already setup on these switches as you recommended! 

Thanks!

Chris

But i have suggested vPC with picture modifies, also commented as below  - this means, where possible you can implement vPC, where not possible you go traditional way - looks like this message gone in wrong way i was guessing..

"Both is possiblem depends in requirement, if vPC availble i prefer with vPC. so you can utilise the links 100%"

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card