Helpful
Replies

Regarding show vtp status

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I'm learning networking.

I've a doubt from the output of show vtp status. What does it mean by "Maximum VLANs supported locally" ?

And the output is showing that the present verions is "VTP Version 2" and again at VTP V2 mode it is showing as disabled, why?

And I'm i not running the vtp version2 ? If yes, which version is this?

Can someone tell me what is "VTP Traps generaiton" ?

sh vtp stats.PNG

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chandu,

let me start with some brief answers, we can dig deeper then if you like.

What does it mean by "Maximum VLANs supported locally" ?

The number depend on the platform.

Example: Catalyst 2960 Data Sheet: Max. 255 VLANs

Much more important: Low-end platforms are limited in the number of spanning-tree instances they support.

Example: Catalyst 2960: Max. 128 instances

And the output is showing that the present verions is "VTP Version 2" and again at VTP V2 mode it is showing as disabled, why?

It means the switch/IOS is v2-capable (but running v1).

This output- line in your IOS is somewhat misleading, other IOS provide a much better output:

VTP Version                     : running VTP1 (VTP2 capable)

You can enable SNMP traps for VTP events (SNMP traps are sent to a management station):

Sw1(config)#do show vtp status | i Traps

VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled

Sw1(config)#snmp-server enable traps vtp

VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled

And also at the end what does it mean "MD5 digest" i believe it is reffering to VTP password, but i didn't set any password for this switch yet.. but on the right side of that it is showing some hexadecimal values what are they?

Have a look at this discussion:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4105410#4105410

Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-26-93 14:35:34  --> What does this exactly mean?

Local updater ID is 0.0.0.0 (no valid interface found) --> what is local updater ID, i thought it wil be an IP address, but again it is showing like no interface found?

The switch hasn't received "better" VTP information from another switch so far and uses its own information (local vlan.dat).

0.0.0.0: It seems like it doesn't have an IP address configured and up/up.

HTH

Rolf

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

And also at the end what does it mean "MD5 digest" i believe it is reffering to VTP password, but i didn't set any password for this switch yet.. but on the right side of that it is showing some hexadecimal values what are they?

MD5 digest                      : 0xEA 0x40 0xA7 0xD9 0xE9 0x9E 0x00 0xC1

And please don't mind to explain about the last two lines..

----

Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-26-93 14:35:34  --> What does this exactly mean?

Local updater ID is 0.0.0.0 (no valid interface found) --> what is local updater ID, i thought it wil be an IP address, but again it is showing like no interface found?

---

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Hi Chandu,

let me start with some brief answers, we can dig deeper then if you like.

What does it mean by "Maximum VLANs supported locally" ?

The number depend on the platform.

Example: Catalyst 2960 Data Sheet: Max. 255 VLANs

Much more important: Low-end platforms are limited in the number of spanning-tree instances they support.

Example: Catalyst 2960: Max. 128 instances

It means the switch/IOS is v2-capable (but running v1).

This output- line in your IOS is somewhat misleading, other IOS provide a much better output:

VTP Version                     : running VTP1 (VTP2 capable)

You can enable SNMP traps for VTP events (SNMP traps are sent to a management station):

VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled

Sw1(config)#snmp-server enable traps vtp

VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled

Have a look at this discussion:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4105410#4105410

The switch hasn't received "better" VTP information from another switch so far and uses its own information (local vlan.dat).

0.0.0.0: It seems like it doesn't have an IP address configured and up/up.

HTH

Rolf

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card