Views
Helpful
Replies

Reload reason: Acl Deny Test Failure

Luciano Cuchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've a WS-C6504-E, with Supervisor32 and MSFC2A (WS-SUP32-10GE-3B, WS-F6K-MSFC2A) an IOS 12.2(33)SXI6.

The switch has restarted itself a few times and I don't know why, because the "show ver" output shows:

>> Last reload reason: ACL Deny Test Failure

I've read the bug CSCtc90469, but it's about a crash during the bootup.

Our unit doesn't crash, (it doesn't have a crashinfo file), just reloads itself whithout error logs. It's working with high memory usage but I have other units with similar levels which are working fine. I've filtered the "sh tech" through the Cisco "Output interpreter", and it doesn't show any error.

has anyone  suffered a similar problem? If the "ACL Deny Test" is a Bootup test, I don't understand why it's the cause of reloading our switch. I'll try to open a TAC case, but I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks and regards,

Luciano Cuchí

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luciano,

I have not encountered such a bug yet, and the Google seems to be sparse on the information about it.

I suggest you try the workaround solution from the bug CSCtc90469 even if it does not seem to apply to you. If it does not help, this will certainly require opening a TAC case.

The suggested workaround was to use the no diagnostic bootup level command.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

For an ACL Deny Test Failure you should have got error message like this.

"%RF-SP-5-RF_RELOAD: Shelf reload. Reason: ACL Deny Test Failure"

The root cause for this crashes is the following bug;

CSCtc90469   

==>Supervisor module crashes just after boot up with ACL Deny Test Failure

Symptoms would be:

===============

Sup32 crash just after boot up with ACL Deny Test Failure. It will happen after several time power OFF/ON.

After that, Sup32 don't boot up by itself. Because SP's config-register is changed from 0x2102 to 0x2100.

The Conditions would be :

WS-SUP32

IOS version : 12.2(33)SXI2a

rommon version : 12.2(33r)SX9

This issue is seen on the supervisor module in general. There is an ACL deny test failure

which causes the box to crash and come to rommon although autoboot is enabled.

Starting with release 12.2(33)SXI2a, any earlier release on this train is

vulnerable to the bug. The fix was applied starting with release there is a

software fix that will prevent this issue starting in 12.2(33)SXI04a,

any later release should contain the fix.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Somu

Rate this answer if you find the content was useful

Luciano Cuchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

I have configured the switch with the "no diagnostic bootup level" command as you suggested, Peter. As you say it doesn't seem to apply to this case but....

I'm going to run tomorrow a few "on-demand" diagnostics and I'll report the results.

Thanks again, regards

Luciano

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card