cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote LACP configuration (currently ports are not bundled)

upsilon22222
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I am curious about a setup and wanted to see if anyone could discover any fallacies that could occur with this method.  I have performed this on my home lab and it seems to have been successful.  Just wanted to share my insight and see what others thought.

I want to remotely enable LACP bundle between local switch and far end switch without losing network connectivity.  Currently both switches have redundant links to one another and spanning-tree is set to rapid-pvst.  One link is being blocked on the far end switch as expected.  Local switch is designated as the root switch.  I will designate local switch as Switch A, and remote switch as Switch B.

My theory and so far I have been able to do so is the following:

1.) Shut down the blocked interface on Switch B

2.) Configure trunking paramters including native vlan and encapsulation on Switch B

3.) Join the shut interface to a new channel-group using mode active on Switch B

3.) Configure Switch A interface trunking parameters on interface that connects to the shut interface on SwitchB

4.) Join the Switch A interface to a new channel-group using mode active.

5.) No shut the interface on Switch B and allow the link to come up.  ( I anticipate STP to block this link once again since it is redundant)

6.) Shut down the primary interface on Switch B (I anticipate STP to move over to the port that was previously being blocked as a result.  I expect to lose a brief instance of connectivity before link fails over).

7.) Configure trunking parameters on primary interface on Switch B and join it to the same channel-group as the previous

8.) Configure trunking parameters on Switch A interface and join it to the local channel-group.

9.) No shut the remote Switch A interface.

From this sequence, I expect to lose minimal connectivity with the only instance being Step 6 where STP fails over to the previously blocked link which is now in LACP channel group.  Once Step 9 is complete, I expect the bundle on both ends to sync up and the port-channel will be created without losing complete connectivity to remote switch.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Let's pretend that Switch A and B are far apart from one another and having to walk from switch to switch can be very time consuming if local console is needed.

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card