cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote management of layer 2 switch

MichaelE35414
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what would be best practice, or the preferred method to remotely manage a layer 2 switch from a separate network.  I'm a network novice.  I understand basic concepts, but what I lack is the experience.  

The network I'm trying to reach uses a switch that gets addresses from the firewall, which is also serving as the DHCP.  The switch is connected to the LAN interface of the firewall by trunk port. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The simplest way probably is to create an interface (SVI) on the switch and give it an IP in the same subnet as the LAN side and excluded that IP from the DHCP server.

Config t

interface vlan x

ip address x.x.x.x

no sh

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The simplest way probably is to create an interface (SVI) on the switch and give it an IP in the same subnet as the LAN side and excluded that IP from the DHCP server.

Config t

interface vlan x

ip address x.x.x.x

no sh

HTH

Thank you. Can I ask another newbie question? And I apologize ahead for my dumb questions. I understand what you said about assigning an address and excluding it from DHCP, but how exactly would I be able to interface that address from my network? Would this be via secure shell? I guess I just don't understand how my network would know how to route to that address.

So, once you assign an IP to the switch (as noted above), you can simply use Telnet or SSH (if your IOS support SSH) to access the switch. As for as a terminal emulator, you can use Putty, which is free or Secure Crt but that cost $$ for license. 

BTW, good questions and no questions is dumb.

HTH

Okay, thank you. Looks like I have some research and testing to do, but thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Glad to help and good luck!

link to putty. It is free and works well.

https://www.putty.org/

HTH

Late Entry : 

You can make use of SVI on the switch, command as below :

interface vlan <vlan number>

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0

no shutdown

make sure to use same vlan as the native vlan or if you are specific vlan use that vlan number. 

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

1. We need to create an Switch Virtual Interface or Management VLan on Layer 2 Switch.
  2. Configure Default gateway
  3. Enable ssh/Telnet on the device.
  4. Then using an third party tool like putty we can access the switch by using the Management vlan IP address.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: