Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Span on a single vlan

Ahmed Mukhtar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All! 

I have an interesting question, i have seen a lot of blogs stating that we can do remote span with two switches. What if..... I have 3 switches?

The topology looks like this.

Target---------Sw1----------Sw2---------Sw3--------My laptop

Will this work now? It seems like it doesn't. I know what to do with the end switch (Sw-1) & the local switch (Sw-3) but what should i do with the switch (Sw-2) in between ??. I have created the remote-span Vlan on it and allowed it on the trunks but it doesn't seem to work! help me please.

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey It does work like that through multiple switches, that's the point of rspan it spans traffic on a switch that is not directly connected , have you also created the rspan vlan at layer 2 database not just the trunks on the interconnecting switches ? 

Oh man,, hey mark! it works! i didn't dig deep enough! , works like a charm the way i have said.

Thank you for the reply by the way, we are on a single vlan so no need for ERSpan. :)

glad its working :) , I was talking about rspan just to clarify not erspan as that's for l3

Yeah, i was using RSPAN... :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card