cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote switch access

embowers1
Level 1
Level 1

I am designing a temporary connection at a site with dual router redundancy running HSRP. I have two 2911 connected via 2 switches for HSRP. I need to manage those switches from behind the router. What would best practice determine I should use to manage those switches. Should trunk a management SVI to the Routers on a subinterface or should I enable L3 on the switches and create loop back addresses?

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends on the switches.  Most newer Cisco switches (3650, 3850, 2960x, etc) have an out of band management port that you can use to connect to your internal network, so you can manage them remotely. If the switches don't have an out band management port, you can make one of the regular ports a management port and connect it to your network. It all depends on your topology. 

HTH

This is a remote site I do not own anything but the 2960X's and the 2911's. So there is no OOB management possible. Unless I was to run the mgmt from the switch to an open interface on the 2911. I am trying not to use up a bunch of addressing. And running unnecessary cabling. So lets go with inband since this is a short term use.

Assuming that each 2960 will connect to one of the 2911 routers and the 2960s will also connect to each other.

On the 2911s, you use one physical interface (this is the interface that connect to each 2960) with 2 sub-interfaces, one would be for data traffic and the other one for management. Say vlan 10 for HSRP (data) and vlan 20 for management.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card