cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace failed stack 3850

Bedevere Curry
Level 1
Level 1

I've replaced a lot of 3705's before and I usually just make sure I have the same IOS and set the proper priority and have switch stack member number.

For the 3850, I was reading the following "http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/hardware/installation/guide/HGTRBL.html"

It mentions the following: It didn't give the details on if we get an RMA from Cisco and it's different version

(Production is currently running (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.02.02.SE).

Does it automatically sync the software packages or would you have to do it manually?

Thanks

Replacing a Failed Data Stack Member

To replace a failed data stack member:

1. The replacement switch must be a Catalyst 3850 switch.

2. Power down the failed switch. Remove AC or DC input power, and if the switch is part of a StackPower stack, remove the StackPower cables.

3. Make sure the replacement switch is powered off, and then connect it to the stack.

If you had manually set the member numbers for the switch stack, manually assign the member number of the failed switch to the replacement switch. To manually assign the stack member number, see the switch software configuration guide on Cisco.com.

4. Make the same Gigabit Ethernet connections on the replacement switch that were on the failed switch.

5. Reinstall any modules and cable connections.

6. Power on the replacement switch.

The replacement switch will have the same configuration for all the interfaces as the failed switch and will function the same as the failed switch.

It

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Bedevere,

It will come up if it has a different version however you will most likely get a "V-mismatch" and will not be able to get into "SSO" or "Hot Standby" mode.  It will not upgrade automatically unless you have specified it in the config (software auto-upgrade enable) - please check out this link for more info on replacing a switch in the stack.  Honestly, your best bet is to stage the switch and get it up to 3.2.2 before you introducing it to the stack.  Once up to date, you can add it in and power up, it will automatically be provisioned and sync the config.  be careful and don't add it to the stack while its already up and running, this will cause a stack merge and reload your active switch (i see this happen a lot

On a side note, you might look at 3.2.3 or going to 3.3 all together as we have fixed some major bugs in 3.2.2 and also introduced some great features. I have included a quick doc I wrote below that details the upgrade process as a reference.

Reference:

Upgrading a 3850: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-36615

HTH

-Lp

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Bedevere Curry
Level 1
Level 1

We are configured for

Redundancy Mode (Operational) = SSO
Redundancy Mode (Configured) = SSO

We are in install mode

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Bedevere,

It will come up if it has a different version however you will most likely get a "V-mismatch" and will not be able to get into "SSO" or "Hot Standby" mode.  It will not upgrade automatically unless you have specified it in the config (software auto-upgrade enable) - please check out this link for more info on replacing a switch in the stack.  Honestly, your best bet is to stage the switch and get it up to 3.2.2 before you introducing it to the stack.  Once up to date, you can add it in and power up, it will automatically be provisioned and sync the config.  be careful and don't add it to the stack while its already up and running, this will cause a stack merge and reload your active switch (i see this happen a lot

On a side note, you might look at 3.2.3 or going to 3.3 all together as we have fixed some major bugs in 3.2.2 and also introduced some great features. I have included a quick doc I wrote below that details the upgrade process as a reference.

Reference:

Upgrading a 3850: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-36615

HTH

-Lp

Thank you. This was very useful and I really appreciate all your help

smithy14975
Level 1
Level 1

By member number do you mean switch number when you run show switch?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card