cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing 7206VRX with 6509-E, Sup2T

An Nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning to implement the 6509-E with two Sup 2Ts and a few 48 ports switches. We also want to make this the router for our network and replace the 7206VRX.

Any advise on this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here is a quick overview of Sup2T QoS config

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/qoscampuscat6500sup2taag.pdf

This Ciscolive material also would help you.

BRKCRS-2501: Campus QoS Design—Simplified

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

6500 should work fine.  If you have a lot of WAN circuit termination in your 7200, make sure to get the right WAN modules for your 6500. If you are using IPSec today, you also need to get the correct vpn module for the 6500.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Good news, a 6509-E (especially with a sup2t) had much, much more capacity than any 7200.  Bad news, can be feature poor for certain feature needs, for example, certain QoS features.  Some features can be offset by additional line cards, such as the VPN line module Reza mentioned, or perhaps something like a FlexWAN card.  Since the sup2t is still relatively new take special note what line cards and/or service modules are supported.

Thanks for the info.

Our 7206VRX is our core router now, connecting to a Metro Ethernet that has many branch connections. However, the 7206 is not utilized much.

The reason we want to get rid of it is because of its age and we don't want to maintain SmartNet or spare for it.

The 6509-E is new for us. This will have two Sup 2T. I am planning on moving the routing from the 7206VRX to this Sup2T.

We do have QoS configured on the 7206VRX.

Is it true that the Supervisor engines 2T will be in active/standby configuration and not possible to be active/active at the same time?

Would you give me some configuration examples or hints?

Thanks

An,

Is it true that the Supervisor engines 2T will be in active/standby  configuration and not possible to be active/active at the same time?

That is correct. For 6509 with 2 sups, slot 5 will be the active sup and slot 6 stand-by.

Would you give me some configuration examples or hints?

With sup-2T, no configuration need it.  When you put both sups in the switch and turn it on, by default the sups will be in SSO mode with slot 5 primary and 6 stand-by.

once the switch is complilatly booted, verify the redundency by using this command:

sh redu

one sup should be active and the other one HOT Stand-by

If for whatever reason the SSO is not configured by default, all you have to do is:

config t

redundancy

mode sso

and reboot the chassis.

Switch> enable

Switch# configure terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Switch(config)# redundancy

Switch(config-red)# mode sso

Switch(config-red)# end

Switch# show redundancy states

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/configuration/guide/NSFwSSO.pdf

Good Luck

HTH

Thanks for the quick reply.

We also just purchase UCS with the 6296 Interconnects. We are doing InterVLAN routing with the current Layer 3 Switches, running OSPF. Each of the VMs in the VM cluster is on its own subnet so we can failover each server individually without having to change IP and not having to purchase the Nexus 7000.

I plan to move the InterVLAN routing from existing OSPF environment to this new 6509-E. We will connect the 6296 Interconnects to the two 10G modules on the 6509-E that we purchased with the chassis.

Is the InterVLAN routing configuration using EIGRP on the 6509-E very painless? Would you please point me to some quick documentation? I found one that just has the configuration examples for a Layer 3, with the 29xx but not the 6509-E in particular.

My plan is to move routing from the 7206VRX to the 6509-E first, then start doing InterVLAN routing for the other subnets and slowly migrate the OSPF stuff over, using EIGRP.

Thanks in advance!

I see that the QoS features on the Sup2T is completely different from the 7206VRX.

Can I get some tips on configuring QoS on the Sup2T?

Thanks

Here is a quick overview of Sup2T QoS config

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/qoscampuscat6500sup2taag.pdf

This Ciscolive material also would help you.

BRKCRS-2501: Campus QoS Design—Simplified

HTH

Rasika

Thanks for these docs. I was able to find them earlier through Cisco Live site.

I still have few questions about the QoS architecture of the Sup2T, 1Gb. When I do show queueing interface g5/1 | inc type I see Transmit is 1p3q4t and receive is 2q4t.

I read somewhere that mentioned second queue is by default the Priority Queue. Is that true in this case? If it is, how do I mark/classify the traffic so that it will use the Priority Queue for Voice/Video?

Thanks

Depend on the line card you have you need to find out what ingress & egress queue structure it will support.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15.1SY/config_guide/sup2T/qos_policy_based_queueing.html#wp1005968

if it is any of the below cards, it will support 2q8t ingress & 1p3q8t egress direction.

(WS-X6848-TX-2T , WS-X6748-GE-TX , WS-X6848-SFP-2T, WS-X6748-SFP, WS-X6824-SFP-2T, WS-X6724-SFP)

Since you are using Gig port on the Sup2T itself, it has "Transmit is 1p3q4t and receive is 2q4t" as you already found.

As you can see there is no PQ for ingress direction for any of these. Priority Queue is only available egress direction. It will be Queue# 4 (for 1p3q4t) or Queue#8 (1p7q8t) is the priority queue.

Below shows two examples

CR01#sh queueing interface g6/1  [for VS-SUP2T-10G]

Interface GigabitEthernet6/1 queueing strategy:  Weighted Round-Robin

Port QoS is enabled globally

Queueing on Gi6/1: Tx Enabled Rx Enabled

Trust boundary disabled

Trust state: trust COS

Trust state in queueing: trust COS

Extend trust state: not trusted [COS = 0]

Default COS is 0

Queueing Mode In Tx direction: mode-cos

Transmit queues [type = 1p3q4t]:

Queue Id    Scheduling  Num of thresholds

-----------------------------------------

01         WRR                 04

02         WRR                 04

03         WRR                 04

04         Priority            01

CR01#show queueing interface t4/1 [for WS-X6816-10GE ]

Interface TenGigabitEthernet4/1 queueing strategy:  Weighted Round-Robin

Port QoS is enabled globally

Queueing on Te4/1: Tx Enabled Rx Enabled

Trust boundary disabled

Trust state: trust COS

Trust state in queueing: trust COS

Extend trust state: not trusted [COS = 0]

Default COS is 0

Class-map to Queue in Tx direction

Class-map           Queue Id

----------------------------

VOIP-TRAFFIC              8

NETWORK-CONTROL           7

MULTIMEDIA-TRAFFIC        6

CRITICAL-DATA             5

BULK-DATA                 4

SCAVENGER                 3

class-default             1

Queueing Mode In Tx direction: mode-dscp

Transmit queues [type = 1p7q4t]:

Queue Id    Scheduling  Num of thresholds

-----------------------------------------

01         WRR                 04

02         WRR                 04

03         WRR                 04

04         WRR                 04

05         WRR                 04

06         WRR                 04

07         WRR                 04

08         Priority            01

Through service policy configuration you will map which traffic needs to go to priority queue & other queues as well. Below shows example of these mapping (taken from Sup2T QoS at-a glance document)

HTH

Rasika

Thanks for the quick response.

So how exactly would I be able to map traffic from a specific subnet to cos 5 or dscp ef and another subnet to cos 4 or dscp af41? Once those are map, I need to make sure they also leave the device with those markings?

Thanks

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Is it true that the Supervisor engines 2T will be in active/standby configuration and not possible to be active/active at the same time?

BTW, the VS-S720, when running in a non-VSS configuration, with dual sups in the same chassis, the "standby" sup is noted as "...even in the redundant configurations, thereby increasing the supervisor throughput from 48 to 82 Mpps." contributing to the chassis forwarding performance.  Unable to find similar documentation for the sup2T (60 Mpps), but it might (as it's a follow on to the VS-S720).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: