cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Cisco C3750 with Meraki MS250

rmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to replace a failing Cisco C3750 switch with a Meraki MS250. I have about 14 VLANs. The problem I have discovered is that the Meraki switch does not support RIP so interVLAN routing is failing. I have two stacks of C3750s as well as three other singular C3750 switches. I also have another at another facility I think is a C3750 -- I'll have to check on this one -- connected by means of an MPLS. It only serves one VLAN but must still connect to others at this facility. 

How can I get my Meraki MS250 to share VLANs with the downstream C3750 switches? 

**I also have several Cisco C2950 and C2960 switches on the network but my understanding is that these are L2 thus wouldn't be affected by this change -- am I correct?

UPDATE: So, I checked my other switches and the only switch that is running RIP is the one I am replacing so RIP is likely not the problem. Still interVLAN routing appears to be failing as I am unable to ping across VLANs when I connect things. Any suggestions? Do I need to set up OSPF or static routes on my Cisco switches for them to receive routing information from the Meraki L3 switch?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have never used Meraki switches before but it appears that all you need is a layer-3 interface for each vlan and the switch will route between vlans for you and no need for RIP unless you are connecting it to a layer-3 device in which case you could also use static routes.

from the config document:

In order to route traffic between VLANs, routed interfaces must be configured. Only VLANs with a routed interface configured will be able to route traffic locally on the switch, and only if clients/devices on the VLAN are configured to use the switch's router interface IP address as their gateway or next hop.

link:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Layer_3_Switching_Overview

HTH

Hell 

just like to add the meraki supports ospf so just incase you wanted to keep running a routing protocol -however it would mean some additional prep work will be required so to introduce this along side your rip protocol  on the cisco switches but it is viable 

if if you want to keep it simple then I would go along with Rezas suggestion.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card